Question Headset recommendation

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Hello...

I am here looking for advice choosing a new headset. I had the Razer Kraken Pro Neon for five years, but tear & wear took the best of 'em recently (worse than the audio jack breaking one of the channels) so I am looking for a new headset. I am not particularly interested in gaming headsets - the only reason I had those was because they were actually very sturdy. I'd prefer to stay away from gaming-aimed headsets because they tend to have weird shapes.

I am no audio maniac and have no money to burn. around £80 is what I can give. I am particularly interested in general audio use and very specifically music. I was looking at the Audio Technica ATH m40x but apperantely those are too flat for music. If anyone has a recommendation, even posting about their current headsets, it would do me great help. Thank you!

I am using a Samson SR850 with a Zalman zm-mic1 and a Sound Blaster Play! 3 since there are no budget semi-open back headsets available on the market.

If your environment will allow semi-open back, the sr850 has a slight v-shape which makes movies and games sound quite more alive. The semi-open back gives you much more sound stage over closed cans, which allows virtual surround a more natural feel. Combined with the SBX customization from the play!3 I am able to adjust the v-surround depth perfectly and have never been more satisfied as I tend to game late at night.

Since the SR850 is basically an AKG clone, it uses the same suspension band with metal bar construction which makes it very durable compared to typical cup/hinge which has become a breaking point in budget cans since the cheap plastic becomes brittle over time.

My current closed-back cans are Senn HD202IIs which were a crazy good deal at $22 when I got them, I am looking for a replacement and currently eyeing either the Edifier H840 or the P841 since their hinge design appears to be a bit more durable than the others.

Hope this helps, cheers!

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Aha. Although this seems a setup to immerse yourself in movies and games for a better experience. I am more interested in music and good quality audio, rather than a setup focused on surround audio and immersive experience. The stuff you recommended is way below my budget, so I could buy them, but the ATH m40x looks like a better option for what I specifically want. Of course, I could be wrong... I am no sound expert.

Thank you for your input!