Headsets for Positional Audio in Games

CaraDLVN

Prominent
Mar 11, 2017
Hello Everybody,

I am completely overhauling my setup, and for the most part I know all the parts I want in my PC, and for the most part my peripherals too. I know the keyboard I want and I've locked down the mouse to either the Logitech G403 or it's bigger brother the G900 budget permitting. The one thing I am still lost on is my headphone/headset (I'll probably use these two interchangeably in this thread).

Now I know this can definitely become a bloodbath but in your guy's opinions what would be the best headphones to fit these requirements:

-Under 200 CAD (150 USD)
-I'm willing to give this up, but preferably wireless (The G933s are looking pretty good)
-Most importantly excellent positional audio, without sacrifice of overall immersion (I want the positional audio for Overwatch Competitive specifically, and the immersion for Fallout 4, Skyrim and the sort)
-I do like a bit of base for FPS games, but the mids and highs are also important as I will watch movies with them.
-A mic is not a requirement but would be nice.
-Compatibility with a PS4 would be nice, but it is not, whatsoever a factor in me deciding.

The headsets I'm looking at right now are the G933, Arctis 7, HyperX Cloud II, Razer Man'O'War (hate me if you will, I really like wireless stuff). I know all this stuff is 'Gamer Branded' but honestly, there are not enough experiences of 'real' headphones being used in games that I understand. And at least with gamer branded stuff, you can kind of rank them, but the water is way too muddy when it comes to regular headphones under 200 dollars. Also, I will be getting a Z270-E Strix Motherboard, which has a "ROG SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC S1220A"
if that helps at all.

Thank you in advance :)

Solution
I have the G930 and i enjoy them, i read that the G933 are even better so i'd probably get those. When it comes to surround virtualisation i compared a few and i'm a big fan of "dolby headphones" personally (the G930 and G933 have it).

You would obviously get better sound by getting audiophile grade headphones + a headphone amp + a sound card that support headphone surround virtualisation, but the cost would be heavy.

So at 200$ CAD budget, the G933 would be great in my opinion.

salawow

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2014
I have the G930 and i enjoy them, i read that the G933 are even better so i'd probably get those. When it comes to surround virtualisation i compared a few and i'm a big fan of "dolby headphones" personally (the G930 and G933 have it).

You would obviously get better sound by getting audiophile grade headphones + a headphone amp + a sound card that support headphone surround virtualisation, but the cost would be heavy.

So at 200$ CAD budget, the G933 would be great in my opinion.

Solution