[SOLVED] Headset's microphone suddenly no longer working, people unable to hear me, is it sound card and/or?

fragment0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
Hi, wasn't too sure of the right forum section to post this under, but looks like search results show a bunch of audio related issues were created under "Systems".

My issue is my headset's mic has suddenly stopped working and it is not a mic issue as was able to test with another brand new headset and its the same issue. Im not sure if could be the sound card or something else that is very simple that I should be able to figure out, but couldn't.

I have this headset: "Massdrop x Sennheiser PC37X Gaming Headset" as well as have another one Logitech G332 Wired Gaming Headset, but issue does happen with both. Something happened two days ago where I would play some online multiplayer shooter and would be told that people could not hear me. I know mic wasn't muted. At first someone said that they could hear static when i would hold "push to talk" button, but another day people would just say that they can see it shows as if im taking on screen, but there is no sound coming out as if it was muted when it wasn't.

Yesterday I started testing the mic itself to see if its something in games' consoles/settings I needed to adjust or totally unrelated and found out that my voice is no longer being picked up by the mic.

mictest.png

2.png

3.png

So as shown on screenshot when I would talk I should be seeing that "test your microphone" bar show some movement as im talking and I should be hearing my vocie, but thats not happenning.

I did the same test in steam where you can also test your input/output and I should be able to hear myself talk, but nothing happens, dead air.

Tried with two different new sets and same issue. my connectors in the back of desktop for the headset are green/pink/blue, with only pink/green connected, but i have also tried connecting the headset in the front of pc using other two ports in the front for headset and mic and same issue, not being detected anymore.

Ive tried to play around with input/output device settings top change between the once its trying to detect, but no luck, but i never made any changes, i think they were always set to default realtech once, ive never modified anything, but something happenned suddenly 2 days ago. Its hard to explain, so not sure if im making sense, but wonder if anyone has any clue as to what this could be. Reboot didnt help, all drivers are up to dater, ive checked my sound in device manager all up to date, windows update up to date, sound troubleshooter did not find any issues, so no issues were detected at all by the troubleshooter. Checked everything I could think of, but at this point i dont know what else to try and whether or not its something inside my built in sound cart or motherboard which is a default prebuilt crappy mother bord or what not, but wonder if anyone has any clue at all to at least point me in the right direction.

Below are benchmark results:

UserBenchmarks: Game 95%, Desk 95%, Work 91%
CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K - 97%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 - 97%
SSD: Adata SU650 240GB - 64.9%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2018) - 92.3%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2666 C16 2x16GB - 76.2%
MBD: Cyberpowerpc C SERIES

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/55705530

Solution
That audio folder is the audio driver. You're going to need that folder to reinstall your audio drivers after uninstalling said driver.

Lutfij

Titan
I'd try and see if your platform has any BIOS updates pending. Following that, see if your OS is pending updates as well. Once you've verified the prior two to be up to date, uninstall your audio drivers, then manually reinstall the latest driver for your audio(sourced from Cyberpower's support site) in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Did you also verify that the connection to the audio ports to the rear of the motherboard, go all the way in?

Last edited:
Reactions: fragment0

fragment0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
I'd try and see if your platform has any BIOS updates pending. Following that, see if your OS is pending updates as well. Once you've verified the prior two to be up to date, uninstall your audio drivers, then manually reinstall the latest driver for your audio(sourced from Cyberpower's support site) in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Did you also verify that the connection to the audio ports tot eh rear of the motherboard, go all the way in?

Hey, tnx for reply. Ya, made sure all were tightly in, connected well.

As for BIOS alright, I'll have to figure out how to check that later on then. I know there are no pending OS updates, just not sure how to check BIOS, but will figure out.
I've also never manually uninstalled any drivers nor installed, so hopefully I don't mess it up, but ya, I can check that out on Cyberpower's site after as I dont even know what my audio drivers are, but im pretty sure I can see those on the device manager screen where I did check before whether or not they were up to date and it showed as they were, so I'll play around with that later then. Thanks.

Reactions: Lutfij

fragment0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015

Did you also verify that the connection to the audio ports to the rear of the motherboard, go all the way in?

Hey, I have now reviewed and tried everything that I could think of, so issue persists. Desktop still does not hear me talk over mic. While in game when I press push to talk button, people can only hear static, so windows doesn't pick up my voice. Same issue with two headsets, so not a headset issue, but what I was gonna ask is im not sure if what im seeing on below screenshots is what it should be for my headset, im not sure if I even have correct device selected as a headset/mic, so hopefully you have a clue or anyone else does. I honestly think its still something simple, maybe i dont have correct equipment selected in my settings? Im not seeing my headset "Massdrop x Sennheiser PC37X Gaming Headset" its settings can be found on amazong https://www.amazon.ca/Massdrop-Sennheiser-PC37X-Gaming-Headset/dp/B084GFGMYT/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=headset:+"Massdrop+x+Sennheiser+PC37X+Gaming+Headset"&qid=1665413983&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIwLjgyIiwicXNhIjoiMC4wMCIsInFzcCI6IjAuMDAifQ==&sr=8-4 anywhere in pc sound settings, but i think its always been like that and i think it would just say Realteck Audio Device like on screenshots, but im not too too sure. Is anyone able to tell if what you see on my screenshots is normal and how it should be or? But just a note on a side, this headset was a plug and play, i did use it with no issue foir like two months now until suddenly one morning mic was no logner detectable by pc, but i never made any changes, all worked good.

Below is how its currently set up:

Current-set-up.png

My input options are:

Input-Options.png

My output options are

Output-Option.png

Manage sound devices tab shows these:

manage-sound-devices.png

My sound settings under control panel:

Sound-settings-in-control-panel.png

sound-settings-1.png

sound-settings-2-recording.png

device-manager-audio-1.png

all of above are up to date

device-manager-audio-2.png

all of above are up to date

Side note DELAW2721?D is my monitor but i dont use any sound from it, dont even know how, also i dont know what that steelseries thing is on there do cause the only steelseries item i got is the mouse, so not sure why its on there, and I dont have / use speakers, i only use and have my headset connected to ports in the back of desktop (pink/green), also tried in the front of desktop, same result, not detecting mic from front and back of pc, but all else works fine, just the mic issue. As for steam voice test options I have please refer to the first screenshots I posted in my original post few days ago, i shared steam settings as well for the mic, but that shouldnt be an issue, issue is the pc somewhere or the audio card, im not sure, if it is the audio card would it be affecting both the front and back of pc cause mic doesnt work from both mic ports on pc front/back, im too bad at knowing if both are linked with same card, so no clue, but i wonder if its something else i jsut need to adjust anywhere, but i think ive cheked it all, all my devices show enabled, all drivers up to date, driver troubleshooter nor windows udpate troubleshooter found no issue with my audio device.

With that said knowing what my headset is while keeping in mind same isssue happens with my other new headset that wasnt an issue before, does all look how it should be on those screenshots in terms of settings for the given headset? i never made any changes in the first place , but did try to swap settings around back and forth already to no avail.

Any further advise would be appreciated unless its indeed the sound card. One thing i did not do is i did not uninstall the driver cause im too bad at finding the correct one to install unless somone could find the one i would need to isntall again then id appreciate, but im scared to uninstall.

Much appreciated 🙏

Lutfij

Titan
Use CPU-Z to show you the make and model of your motherboard, courtesy of the mainboard tab. I'm under the impression that your audio drivers might be corrupt or that there's a conflict with SteelSeries Sonar app and the Realtek audio drivers. The headset isn't USB driven(it's analog) it won't show up in Device Manager, only the audio device output to said headphone which in your case should only be Realtek HD Audio.

fragment0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
Use CPU-Z to show you the make and model of your motherboard, courtesy of the mainboard tab. I'm under the impression that your audio drivers might be corrupt or that there's a conflict with SteelSeries Sonar app and the Realtek audio drivers. The headset isn't USB driven(it's analog) it won't show up in Device Manager, only the audio device output to said headphone which in your case should only be Realtek HD Audio.

Ohh, I see.

I do have CPU-Z, I do see and know my motherboard was a prebuilt crappy (came with PC) and was a terrible one which im not even sure there would be drivers for it, but its enough for what I need out of my pc. Is there anything i'd need to somehow check on that motherboard or something? Ideally i should change it, but never had issues with the current one, any further advise would be appreciated.

motherboard.png

Lutfij

Titan
These are where your downloads for the drivers to your platform are;
http://www.cyberpowerinc.com/drivers/?dir=Motherboards/MB-472-101 CyberPowerPC B360
which quite frankly is appalling.

I found this while searching for support on your motherboard;
https://linustechtips.com/topic/102...-motherboard/?do=findComment&comment=13557651
and I've never seen anyone have to go to those lengths to update the BIOS. A newcomer to the scene or someone who is a little challenged will end up ruining their own platform.

Yay, CyberpowerPC!
/rant off/

fragment0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2015
These are where your downloads for the drivers to your platform are;
http://www.cyberpowerinc.com/drivers/?dir=Motherboards/MB-472-101 CyberPowerPC B360
which quite frankly is appalling.

I found this while searching for support on your motherboard;
https://linustechtips.com/topic/102...-motherboard/?do=findComment&comment=13557651
and I've never seen anyone have to go to those lengths to update the BIOS. A newcomer to the scene or someone who is a little challenged will end up ruining their own platform.

Yay, CyberpowerPC!
/rant off/

Thanks a lot, I'll try t preview this. Would I just need the AUDIO folder that i see on the first link or should I just be updating the whole thing following the steps I see you shared on the 2nd link? And to begin the update do i need to uninstall it or I would just start right by downloading and unazipping as it suggests there? Im not sure I would even be doing it, scared, probably wont even do it and maybe end up i na PC shop taking a look at it, but just wonder what my steps would be if i was to try it out.

TRENDING THREADS