[SOLVED] Health of a HDD

aden.anderson2001

Reputable
Aug 26, 2018
My internal WD hdd used to make those kinds of bleeping sounds which indicate that there are damages in the hdd. Now I checked it with crystal disk info and it says the health status is good and also now it does not make those bleeping noises anymore. Is my hdd really damaged or what is happening?

Solution
If your HDD is making sounds which are mechanical (like scratches or ticking on the platter) it is most likely a hardware issue. However, you are describing the sound to be a beeping, which may indicate an action the HDD is performing. To be absolutely sure of the meaning of the sounds, you should contact the corresponding technical support. :)

aden.anderson2001

Reputable
Aug 26, 2018
Can you elaborate on the term "bleeping"? Are you referring to the beep you hear at the start of a system? An HDD when faulty/failing will produce some screeching noises or a knock.
I'm sorry I forgot to change bleeping to beeping as my phones keyboard auto corrects words, supposedly at least. Yes I am referring to that beeping and screeching sound but it has not made that sound for over a month so far

If your HDD is making sounds which are mechanical (like scratches or ticking on the platter) it is most likely a hardware issue. However, you are describing the sound to be a beeping, which may indicate an action the HDD is performing. To be absolutely sure of the meaning of the sounds, you should contact the corresponding technical support. :)

Solution

popatim

Titan
yeah I sure can but I'm worried if there are any problems that are not being showed crystal disk and I don't know about

This always applies. Even brand new highly rated drives can die without notice.

Generally speaking, treat any hard drive as terminally ill and plan your backup strategy accordingly.
[/QUOTE

Always have important data backed up on a different device. The more backups you have the safer it is from being lost.