[SOLVED] Health status of my HDD?

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Earlier this month I was quite alarmed when my Seagate HDD SMART showed counts in the millions for Seek Error Rate and Raw Read Error Rate. I disconnected the drive and have been trying to decide on a replacement.

Then I seemed to recall getting similar readings with previous HDDs. I've been collecting speed tests and SMART records for HDDs, SSDs, thumb drives and memory cards over the past 10 years. Sure enough, all other Seagate HDDs had been showing high error rate figures, including drives that are still working without any problem.

The one difference with my current data drive is that it shows an "Unknown attribute" count of 2 and is marked "Failed". This might have happened when I had 2 or 3 BSODs in succession while booting up (cured by reseating the RAM sticks).

The HDD is a Seagate ST2000DM005 which has served as my main data disk for the past 20 months. Can anyone please help evaluate the health of the HDD?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lc6ifujoqkn666u/Health 1.png?dl=0

Solution
Earlier this month I was quite alarmed when my Seagate HDD SMART showed counts in the millions for Seek Error Rate and Raw Read Error Rate. I disconnected the drive and have been trying to decide on a replacement.

Then I seemed to recall getting similar readings with previous HDDs. I've been collecting speed tests and SMART records for HDDs, SSDs, thumb drives and memory cards over the past 10 years. Sure enough, all other Seagate HDDs had been showing high error rate figures, including drives that are still working without any problem.

The one difference with my current data drive is that it shows an "Unknown attribute" count of 2 and is marked "Failed". This might have happened when I had 2 or 3 BSODs in succession...

The one difference with my current data drive is that it shows an "Unknown attribute" count of 2 and is marked "Failed". This might have happened when I had 2 or 3 BSODs in succession while booting up (cured by reseating the RAM sticks).

The HDD is a Seagate ST2000DM005 which has served as my main data disk for the past 20 months. Can anyone please help evaluate the health of the HDD?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lc6ifujoqkn666u/Health 1.png?dl=0
Seagate dances to their own drummer as to what they plug into smart 01/07.

http://sgros.blogspot.com/2013/01/seagate-disk-smart-values.html

Perhaps grab a copy of seatools and see what it has to say about the condition of the hdd.

Solution