[SOLVED] Heard a beep and clicking coming from my pc. So, I restarted...

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
I read somewhere that usually when you hear a clicking, the HDD is mostly at fault, but never anything about beeping. I had headphones on, but I think the beep lasted for about 3 seconds. Just one long beep. I was nervous, so I restarted. When my PC booted back up, I checked my files, and my HDD didn't show up. In panic mode, I turned off my PC, waited, then back on. Went into the boot settings to see if it would show up, and it did. Booted my PC back up, and now everything's back to normal. No clicking, no beeping, and the HDD is showing up again. What just happened? I remember hearing a subtle clicking before it all went down too. Is the beeping and clicking a warning? Should I just use my PC like normal, or stop using my HDD? (Windows is on my SSD)

I doubt any of this has to do with it, but I cleaned out my PC with an air duster prior to this, but didn't mess with any of the seating. Cleaned it outside, too. I also had my PC's LEDs on while all the hassle was going on.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Solution
No. It's not fixable. Is the drive/computer still under warranty?
Event viewer is not meant to be a user-side notification. In a corporate environment, it's for system/computer administrators and is regularly logged or parsed for errors like these that then produce tickets or alerts. If you had the hard drive manufacturer software installed it might have alerted you, or maybe not - depends on the software and manufacturer.

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Yeah, it seems that way.
There's a warning, "The driver has detected that device \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 has predicted that it will fail. Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent,"

and the error itself, "Windows Disk Diagnostic detected a S.M.A.R.T. fault on disk TOSHIBA HDWD110 (volumes D:\) This disk might fail; back up your computer now. All data on the hard disk, including files, documents, pictures, programs, and settings might be lost if your hard disk fails."

I wish the warning actually popped up instead of being in the background. Kinda defeats the purpose of a warning, you know? Is there nothing I can do about this besides back up my files? Is it not fixable?

Event viewer is not meant to be a user-side notification. In a corporate environment, it's for system/computer administrators and is regularly logged or parsed for errors like these that then produce tickets or alerts. If you had the hard drive manufacturer software installed it might have alerted you, or maybe not - depends on the software and manufacturer.

Solution

Made-a-Fool

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Thanks, unfortunately the warranty expired a week before the error. I went ahead and replaced it with an SSD, so all is well now. Thanks a lot for your help!

TRENDING THREADS