Question Heard a POP sound after upgrading CPU, CPU cooler, case, and PSU- System does not power on now.

Sep 1, 2022
A few days ago I upgraded my Ryzen 7 2700x to a Ryzen 9 5900x I made sure I updated the BIOS (Motherboard is an ARUS B450 PRO WIFI) and got a better cooler for it (I had an AMD wraith prism, upgraded to a Deep Cool AS500 plus). I also got a larger case to fit the deeper cooler. In addition to that I also Upgraded from a CORAIR 650w PSU to a EVGA 1000w PSU in anticipation for a more powerful GPU down the line.

After installation I unintentionally used the power cord (the on that goes to the wall) from the old 650w PSU instead of the new one. System ran for a few seconds before making a POP sound from what sounded like the top of the mother board (near where CPU power is attached), but I could be wrong. I immediately pressed the power switch on the PSU and unplugged the system. Noticed that it had a faint burned smell.

Old PSU cable has 10a printed on it and new PSU cable has 13a ( Would 3 fewer AMPS cause motherboard damage?). wattage on both is 125w.

The system now will not power on.
I tried using the old 650w PSU that I know works correctly,
jumping the power button pins,
and checking the motherboard for any blown capacitors (none were found).

One caveat is that when either one of the PSUs are plugged in and the power switch is engaged the board will briefly light up it's LEDs.
When I get time, my next project is to rebuild it in the original case with the original parts to see if it will post.

At this point I'm hoping/assuming that the motherboard was damaged rather than the CPU. Any ideas on what else I can do or test on this system? Are there any common wiring mistakes that would cause a POP? My main worry now is if I got another motherboard this could happen again and damage it as well.

One other note, my pc has worked without a hitch for about 2 years before the upgrade.
If any help could be offered it would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the parts list with the new components https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gVQ9Rv

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You would not have been drawing 10amps through either power cable on boot up. Not likely to have been an issue, possibly bad fitment if the connectors had slightly different housings. Have seen a few cables that don't fit well into PSUs, but not often.

When you switched PSUs, did you use the cables that came with the new PSU? They are not universal on the PSU end.

Did you make sure to use an EPS 8-pin and not a PCIe 8-pin for the CPU power?

Can't really think of anything else, could be a shorted CPU if you managed mash any pins, which could certainly do bad things to the motherboard and CPU. Might be worth a look and to see if anything on the CPU itself appears to have exploded.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I agree with the above.

Look the motherboard over top and bottom, I think you will see some damage there. I would get a tester for the power supply just to check base operation and even at that would consider it suspect.

Unfortunately, I would also consider that the CPU and RAM (might) be damaged in a way as to cause issue with new equipment. It might not be, but consider it a chance to take. Unless you actually crossed over some cables, as mentioned above, I feel like the GPU might be ok and is probably one of the easiest components to test.

Sep 1, 2022
You would not have been drawing 10amps through either power cable on boot up. Not likely to have been an issue, possibly bad fitment if the connectors had slightly different housings. Have seen a few cables that don't fit well into PSUs, but not often.

When you switched PSUs, did you use the cables that came with the new PSU? They are not universal on the PSU end.

Did you make sure to use an EPS 8-pin and not a PCIe 8-pin for the CPU power?

Can't really think of anything else, could be a shorted CPU if you managed mash any pins, which could certainly do bad things to the motherboard and CPU. Might be worth a look and to see if anything on the CPU itself appears to have exploded.

The cables inside the pc were only from the new PSU.

Just checked, I did use the correct 8-pn for the CPU

I took the CPU out and it appears to be completely fine. All the pins are fine and nothing looks discolored. Also took the motherboard out and there is no visual damage front or back. Only other place to look would be underneath a shroud.