Heard some news while shopping at Micro Center today

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Went in to the "big" Atlanta store (there are two) today to pick up one of three 1700x they had left...I didn't get it, I went with a 2700x, but anyway, that's another story. While standing there talking to the salesman come to find that not only do some retailers already have some partial inventory of the 3xxx series, but that there is a confirmed cut, across the board coming from Intel before the 10th gen procs hit later this year. He was not allowed to discuss how much and exactly when it's going to hit. I know I had read some rumors discussing that and wonder about whether it was going to be on the retail side or just for OEM's but yes, across the board for everyone. Supposedly rather enticing cuts. He also claimed that there are going to be some cuts on the Ryzen 2xxx series with many of the retailers to cut inventory. He did mention that because Micro Center is already so far below anyone else that their pricing won't be cut much, if at all. He also mentioned that the remaining 1xxx inventory pricing shouldn't change significantly if at all as well.

According the the water cooler chit chat we had he was saying there are a limited number of a couple of skews going to be available at many of the "walk in" retail outlets the morning of release. He was hinting at a $400 sku and some of the R5/R3 stuff. If I understood him right the high end stuff is supposed to follow within a few days, perhaps a week or so.
There were a surprising number of people in checking inventory, asking questions, and a few people (myself included) pull the trigger on the 2xxx stuff. A loyalty coupon hit and I took advantage of it.

Anyway, thought you might like to hear some mostly unsubstantiated rumor....

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
saw a blurb as well but nothing concrete. but overall it is pretty much the only thing intel can do to keep up right now.

looks like zen 2 is gonna really hit hard and with nothing else to release for now, intel can only drop prices to make their stuff look better.

flip it around and it's the same thing amd had to do with the fx series. with nothing left to do with the chips, the kept dropping the price to make them a good value proposition even if they were not the best on the market. considering though that intel is not going to be 40% behind amd, i don't expect them to pull the bottom out dna drop prices hundreds of dollars. they are still good chips and at lower prices will still be good buys.

intel will now find themselves behind with no other options, even if it is only a few %. so a price drop is just about 100% guarenteed at this point until they can drop the next gen 10 nm stuff next year.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Even BETTER news today. The 2700x just fell to 199.99 and Micro Center offers price protection for 30 days. I take my receipt in and save that much more on this model. With the price point on 3rd gen and it's motherboards this is a particularly good deal.

Reactions: DMAN999

TRENDING THREADS