Hearing the mic in the speakers. Recording level set at 0. ???

tom2u

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I noticed that I can hear myself (faintly) but very loud when I blow in the mic, in my speakers. I've tried adjusting the recording levels in Control Panel/Sound/Recording/Levels as well as the Microphone Boost (which feeds back when its turned up), and it doesn't make any difference. I cannot understand why I am hearing anything in the speakers if the level is set to 0. The mic (which seems to work fine) is a cheap clip-on style plugged into the mic input of an older Asus motherboard.

Solution
Assuming that you've exhausted all software options, like having the listen to this device option selected in the audio settings for the mic, what you have is a classic case of bleedover or crosstalk. It happens when two audio signals are too close together, either by wire or trace on the motherboard, and the current from one conductor creates enough of a magnetic field to move electrons in the conductors near it. This is the principal of inductance.

I'm afraid that the fix is to not use your onboard sound for both signals and will either mean getting a USB mic, or a new sound device (card, dongle, DAC).

It is either that or a fault in your audio chip, which sadly is the same fix.

You probably can't get away from the problem without...
Assuming that you've exhausted all software options, like having the listen to this device option selected in the audio settings for the mic, what you have is a classic case of bleedover or crosstalk. It happens when two audio signals are too close together, either by wire or trace on the motherboard, and the current from one conductor creates enough of a magnetic field to move electrons in the conductors near it. This is the principal of inductance.

I'm afraid that the fix is to not use your onboard sound for both signals and will either mean getting a USB mic, or a new sound device (card, dongle, DAC).

It is either that or a fault in your audio chip, which sadly is the same fix.

You probably can't get away from the problem without parting with some money.

Solution