[SOLVED] Heat issues

Jul 6, 2020
I have a 5 3600 with a arctic freezer 34 esports duo and temperature issues.
On stock settings these are my average temperatures in some different scenarios
GTA V: 80-85c
Apex: 82-86c
Cinebench r23: 92c
Idle: 50-53c

So I just found I probably have the wrong backplate for the cpu cooler(forgot to switch from the stock cooler's backplate).
Could this cause this issue? When I touch the cooler it doesnt seem REALLY fastened, like it allows for some tiny movements when i try to yank it. though im not sure how unmovable it is supposed to be.
The CPU has been replaced with a new one, repasted several times, and cooler re mounted by the store which I bought my computer parts from yet no improvements. So Im wondering if this could actually cause the issue.
Comparing my tempratures to others with the same set up it does seem like something defeinetly is wrong.

Solution
The scenario you just described is not a good one. If the heatsink base pulls away from the CPU IHS (integrated heat spreader) which is the top of the CPU, it means it does not have the clamping force to hold it in place and is essentially non-functional.

If the cooler was mounted incorrectly like this from a service center in a retail store (or anywhere for that matter) - I would strongly advise you to never return there for service. If it is certain that the wrong backplate was used, this is incredibly poor work and sheer laziness. This type of work ethic voids warranties, can damage hardware and can result in you being left with both the bill and non-working PC hardware.
Jul 6, 2020
Yes, if the back plate is not the correct one, it will cause issues.

Your temps are way to high.

Should be in this range approx:

Idle - 30-35c
Gaming - 45-70
Stress load 70-80c.

Are you OC'ing the CPU? that could be why temps are so high if it's not done correctly.
Nope, running stock on bios, no ryzen master nothing, everything stock

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
So I just found I probably have the wrong backplate for the cpu cooler(forgot to switch from the stock cooler's backplate).
Could this cause this issue?
YES
When I touch the cooler it doesnt seem REALLY fastened, like it allows for some tiny movements when i try to yank it. though im not sure how unmovable it is supposed to be.
No, should not move. DO NOT YANK OR PULL ON HARDWARE. This can cause permanent damage, but also uncertain how much force is being used.
The CPU has been replaced with a new one, repasted several times, and cooler re mounted by the store which I bought my computer parts from yet no improvements. So Im wondering if this could actually cause the issue.
If the wrong mounting hardware is being used, this is a possibility. See above responses.
Comparing my tempratures to others with the same set up it does seem like something defeinetly is wrong.
Agree, mostly due to the knowledge of using wrong mounting hardware and the cooler which seems to not be seated properly.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Jul 6, 2020
YES

No, should not move. DO NOT YANK OR PULL ON HARDWARE. This can cause permanent damage, but also uncertain how much force is being used.

If the wrong mounting hardware is being used, this is a possibility. See above responses.

Agree, mostly due to the knowledge of using wrong mounting hardware and the cooler which seems to not be seated properly.
I will order new thermal paste, then switch out the backplate to the correct one and hope that this fixes it. Also when i said yanking i meant gently trying to push it any direction, i noticed that when i try to pull it up a little the heatsink actually moves with it exposing the cpu, and when i took a look at the back of my mobo to check the backplate it looked as it one of the standoffs wasnt even fully in which i assume makes the cooler only sit tightened on 3/4 screws. I tried screewing in the screw but it helped nothing as it just reached bottom so it must be the standoff thats not fully in.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The scenario you just described is not a good one. If the heatsink base pulls away from the CPU IHS (integrated heat spreader) which is the top of the CPU, it means it does not have the clamping force to hold it in place and is essentially non-functional.

If the cooler was mounted incorrectly like this from a service center in a retail store (or anywhere for that matter) - I would strongly advise you to never return there for service. If it is certain that the wrong backplate was used, this is incredibly poor work and sheer laziness. This type of work ethic voids warranties, can damage hardware and can result in you being left with both the bill and non-working PC hardware.

Solution