Heat problems?

I just put in a new Chaintech FX5700 card, and now after about 10-20 min of
use the mouse becomes 'jerky', i.e., will not move smoothly across the
screen. Also, the screensave will be running, and then exhibit the same
start-stop activity. I started running my system with a side panel off the
case, and the problem goes away. So, the detective in me says "Old vidcard,
no problem. New card, case buttoned up, problem. New card, case open, no
problem."

My question is, can excessive heat cause this behavior? The card itself is
warm to the touch, and has 3 heatsinks on the back that are pretty warm. Any
help is much appreciated.

> My question is, can excessive heat cause this behavior? The card itself is
> warm to the touch, and has 3 heatsinks on the back that are pretty warm.
Any
> help is much appreciated.

How powerful is your power supply?

You need more airflow in the case.
What do you have for case fans now?

"Jeff Hansman" <jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:<GaFhc.25055$BK2.18204@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>...
> I just put in a new Chaintech FX5700 card, and now after about 10-20 min of
> use the mouse becomes 'jerky', i.e., will not move smoothly across the
> screen. Also, the screensave will be running, and then exhibit the same
> start-stop activity. I started running my system with a side panel off the
> case, and the problem goes away. So, the detective in me says "Old vidcard,
> no problem. New card, case buttoned up, problem. New card, case open, no
> problem."
>
> My question is, can excessive heat cause this behavior? The card itself is
> warm to the touch, and has 3 heatsinks on the back that are pretty warm. Any
> help is much appreciated.

Heat indeed can be a problem...

No case fan, as I abhor the noise it creates. Still, I may need to resort to
one..
"InQuisition®" <nospam@hoofmail.com> wrote in message
> You need more airflow in the case.
> What do you have for case fans now?
>

> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 01:25:58 GMT, "Jeff Hansman"
> <jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> >I just put in a new Chaintech FX5700 card, and now after about 10-20 min
of
> >use the mouse becomes 'jerky', i.e., will not move smoothly across the
> >screen. Also, the screensave will be running, and then exhibit the same
> >start-stop activity. I started running my system with a side panel off
the
> >case, and the problem goes away. So, the detective in me says "Old
vidcard,
> >no problem. New card, case buttoned up, problem. New card, case open, no
> >problem."
> >
> >My question is, can excessive heat cause this behavior? The card itself
is
> >warm to the touch, and has 3 heatsinks on the back that are pretty warm.
Any
> >help is much appreciated.

> No case fan, as I abhor the noise it creates. Still, I may need to
> resort to one..

Most modern systems require at least once case fan.

"Jeff Hansman" <jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote in message news:<MqHhc.25101$a94.12377@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>...
> No case fan, as I abhor the noise it creates. Still, I may need to resort to
> one..
> "InQuisition®" <nospam@hoofmail.com> wrote in message
> > You need more airflow in the case.
> > What do you have for case fans now?

What about Papst Fans... sure they are fans and do make some noise but
it's much less then most cheapass or "high performance" fans.

350W. Not enough?
"Mr. Brian Allen" <blah@blah.com> wrote in message
> > My question is, can excessive heat cause this behavior? The card itself
is
> > warm to the touch, and has 3 heatsinks on the back that are pretty warm.
> Any
> > help is much appreciated.
>
> How powerful is your power supply?

2 would be better. 1 in the front to bring in cool air and 1
in the rear to blow out hot air.

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 03:59:40 GMT, "Jeff Hansman"
<jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote:

>No case fan, as I abhor the noise it creates. Still, I may need to resort to
>one..
>"InQuisition®" <nospam@hoofmail.com> wrote in message
>> You need more airflow in the case.
>> What do you have for case fans now?
>>

>> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 01:25:58 GMT, "Jeff Hansman"
>> <jhansman@pacbell.net> wrote:
>>
>> >I just put in a new Chaintech FX5700 card, and now after about 10-20 min
>of
>> >use the mouse becomes 'jerky', i.e., will not move smoothly across the
>> >screen. Also, the screensave will be running, and then exhibit the same
>> >start-stop activity. I started running my system with a side panel off
>the
>> >case, and the problem goes away. So, the detective in me says "Old
>vidcard,
>> >no problem. New card, case buttoned up, problem. New card, case open, no
>> >problem."
>> >
>> >My question is, can excessive heat cause this behavior? The card itself
>is
>> >warm to the touch, and has 3 heatsinks on the back that are pretty warm.
>Any
>> >help is much appreciated.

Actually, I'm toying with the idea of getting an Antec Sonata case. My
brother in law just built a system with one, and I couldn't believe how
quiet the thing was. It comes with a 380W PSU, so I may be able to eliminate
two potential sources of trouble at once.