[SOLVED] Heat sink for Samsung NVME drives

JunkSniperJoe

Prominent
Feb 15, 2021
I have two Samsung NVME drives: the 980 Pro 1TB and 970 Evo Plus 500GB. The mobo I have doesn't come with a heat sink for the top M.2 slot (I'm installing the Pro there), so I'm looking at some 3d party options. It looks like the EK heat sink will fit the drive, but I wanted to get some feedback on a few questions:

Do I really need a heat sink? This question has been asked before by other users, but I wanted to double check. I think the answer is "no" for normal workloads and gaming and "yes" for frequent use. I plan on using the pc for gaming mostly, but I may do some 3d modeling on the side. I'm assuming this isn't very intensive for the drives.

Are there heat sinks for the controller only? From the little I understand, the NAND chips like to run a little hot, but the controller should stay cool.

Solution
Those things are built to work in laptops with virtually no airflow. Inside your desktop it's going to have tons of airflow. I can't see needing one.

Nor can I see your uses stressing it much. Maybe tiny bursts here and there. Nothing that's going to sustain a heavy load.
Those things are built to work in laptops with virtually no airflow. Inside your desktop it's going to have tons of airflow. I can't see needing one.

Nor can I see your uses stressing it much. Maybe tiny bursts here and there. Nothing that's going to sustain a heavy load.

Solution
I have two Samsung NVME drives: the 980 Pro 1TB and 970 Evo Plus 500GB. The mobo I have doesn't come with a heat sink for the top M.2 slot (I'm installing the Pro there), so I'm looking at some 3d party options. It looks like the EK heat sink will fit the drive, but I wanted to get some feedback on a few questions:

Do I really need a heat sink? This question has been asked before by other users, but I wanted to double check. I think the answer is "no" for normal workloads and gaming and "yes" for frequent use. I plan on using the pc for gaming mostly, but I may do some 3d modeling on the side. I'm assuming this isn't very intensive for the drives.

Are there heat sinks for the controller only? From the little I understand, the NAND chips like to run a little hot, but the controller should stay cool.
Install the ssd and run your normal stuff.
Watch the temps that should tell you if you have a heat problem.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Gen4 NVMe often come with their own heatsinks, since most motherboards, either laptop or desktop don't have included heatsinks for All the slots.

My $250 Asus ROG X570-i has 2 Gen4 capable m.2, one on front with heatsink and one on back without.

So if the Gen4 NVMe does not come with a heatsink, the obvious conclusion would be it doesn't require one. They help, but shouldn't be necessary.

JunkSniperJoe

Prominent
Feb 15, 2021
Based on these responses and my own research, I'm going to say I probably don't need a 3rd party heat sink. I'll monitor the temps and add one if needed. On that note, I'd have to remove the sticker from the drive if using a heat sink, correct? I've heard that somehow acts like a heat sink itself, but it sounds fishy.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Actually correct. It's not just a sticker. It's usually a copper backed sticker like what department stores use to prevent thefts, and that copper is the heat soak that helps siphon away the heat from the chips. If you add a 3rd party heatsink, you'd remove the sticker so that the paper component doesn't interfere with the heat transfer through the thermal pad of the heatsink.