Question Heat sink very close to Ram

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

silenthunt316

Prominent
Mar 12, 2020
Hey guys happy Memorial Day weekend, I just got the noctua d15. And the front fan in numbing into the ram. Not putting pressure on it or nothing. What should I do? Any help will be appreciated :)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
#1 is wrong. Over time the vibrations from the fan going into the memory socket will cause problems.
#2 Doesn't allow the OP to close the case.
#3 Might be the best option for now until there's a slimmer fan.
#1)What? I've been running it like this for close to 3 years now and haven't had any problems with that, even after running my IPPC 3000s at 100% during stress tests...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Your fan actually rests/touching the top of the ram Phaase? Seriously that's not healthy. It won't affect the ram itself, but can/will damage the socket or the solder joints underneath. At the exact wrong pitch in vibration, can cause errors with the teeth in the socket if they chatter in the slightest and vibrate away from the ram teeth.

A 1mm gap is still a gap.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Your fan actually rests/touching the top of the ram Phaase? Seriously that's not healthy. It won't affect the ram itself, but can/will damage the socket or the solder joints underneath. At the exact wrong pitch in vibration, can cause errors with the teeth in the socket if they chatter in the slightest and vibrate away from the ram teeth.

A 1mm gap is still a gap.
Yeah, it totally does. Been like that for a while now - well, 2.5 years to be more precise.
Hmm, since it's not too late, I guess I still have time to change it...

eastonco

BANNED
Jan 18, 2020
Could you provide a picture of the inside of the case so we know exactly what we are working with here? If it is hardly touching the ram, and the ram has a heat sync, it may not be that big of a deal. Often times, heatsyncs on ram are pretty and all but don't do an incredible amount to cool the RAM (expecially with cheaper RAM brands) unless the RAM is under higher temperatures from something such as over clocking. You may be fine with it hardly touching, but I would love to see a pic to say more.

Also, are you overclocking your CPU, RAM, or any other component that may cause higher temperatures?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
83-85 is fine for a torture test. Figure that's going to be maximum output on every core, every thread. Gaming you'll use maybe at best 70% ish of that, your temps should not exceed @ 55-60 usually.

That 85 figure is your safety limit. You'll know for fact if you are hitting 90's, there's an issue somewhere, usually a dirty cooler.

So game on, have fun. 👍

@Phaaze88 funny how something as small in dimension as 2mm takes you from potential damage to happy, free and clear sailing.

Reactions: Phaaze88

TRENDING THREADS