Heat spikes when cpu idle?

Karim_17

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017
so recently i bought a new cpu i7 7700k i had i5 6500, and now according to MSI afterburner there is heat spikes when its idle? reaching maximum 50 and dropping back to 33 or something that is like a split second or something

the one who put it all together switched the liquid cooler fan from CPU fan pin to CPU OPT pin, and when i game it reaches 65c ( Battlefield 1 ) can someone help me understand what this is?

Lutfij

Titan
1| Mind sharing your full system's specs inclusive of your OS?
2| From the way you've explained it, it seems like you just dropped in an i7-7700K processor into your motherboard...did you perform a BIOS update? On that note, did you reinstall your OS?
3| If you think the swapping of the connection from the CPU_FAN header to the CPU_OPT header has resulted in spikes, why not revert to the way it was and see if that changes anything...?
4| Did you also reapply the thermal interfacing material, thermal paste?

You will also need to provide a before CPU upgrade temps for us to get a comparison.

Karim_17

Commendable
Feb 4, 2017

1) i7 7700k
1070 gtx msi gaming
16gb ram
H170 gaming 3 mobo
thermaltake 3.0
and 600w cooler Master psu

2) i did preform BIOS update but i didnt reinstall OS should i do that?

3) because i heard CPU OPT is generally the right pin for water cooler

4) the guy who did it said the cooler had some on it and that there is no need, i am not convinced tho

and before upgrade temps while playing bf1 never exceeded 50 and was 23 when idle