Heating and Power Supplies

aae991

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
My new PC (dual AMD 1800+) is in the shop to get more cooling fans etc... I noticed something odd though... when at home, running on a UPS that turns out to be underrated for the power I'm using, the drives and components get quite hot. At the PC builder's place, with a much higher rated UPS, my machine components still got warm, but not hot. Is there any connection between heat and not getting enough wattage to properly run a system?

I'm upgrading my UPS, but this was wierd!

Thanks!

Stuart

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
different ambient temps at your place, and the computer place?
i dont think that the differnce in the ups would make a difference in the drive heat output.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

aae991

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
I'd say it was a little cooler at the PC place, but not by much. The difference in drive temps from my place to the PC place was very noticable. The UPS is the only factor I could come up with... unless it has to do with overall circuit capacity at a residence vs. a business.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
the thing is, the psu is supposed to regulate the power.
that is why there are capacitors in there...big ones...
if there is not enough juice to run, then there is not enough juice to run.
the thing i would think would get hot if you are drawing too much current would be the ups itself...not the drives.
and another thing...at the pc place, there was probably better airflow than in your house.
unless it was a VERY small computer store.
usually the better airflow will take the heat away from the drives quicker, even tho the temp might be the same.
that is why if you take the side off your case, and check the temp, it might still be warm.
but if you put a fan there, blowing on it...then you will see the temps go down...even tho the ambient temp didnt change much...most likely the ambient temp might go up a degree because of the heat being transferred to the air.

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

TRENDING THREADS