[SOLVED] Heating problems on i7-4790k

May 23, 2020
Hi guys, i get like 40 - 60 degrees on my i7-4790k running on a stock cooler. I didn't overclock it, but is normal to run at 1.25v? What is the normal voltage. I was thinking to get the Nocutua D15. Can i fix it?

Solution
100C is too high, however, before jumping straight into a new cooler, you could try reseating the cooler you already have, sometimes the thermal paste isn't applied properly or is getting old. Another possibility is that the fans in your case aren't speeding up to remove enough heat. Not knowing your case and case fan setup limits advice on this side of things. I once knew someone who positioned their fans backwards, they were drawing air from the back exhausting it through the front, not the biggest error on the planet but it can make a huge difference in the thermals.

I'm just saying before throwing money at a problem make sure other possibilities are addressed.

LetsPlayThisBro

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015
As another poster said, nothing to fix so far... that's actually a little cool of a running temp. Mine hits 75C under 100% load, I'm due to reseat it which should knock it back down to 70C under 100% load. I haven't taken my air cooler off in 3 years so the thermal paste has got to be a bit degraded at this point. I have a new case I'm transferring it to soon and I'll reseat it then. But 40-60C is perfectly normal. I think the thermal max is 95C where it will throttle itself or shut down to prevent damage. CPU's can and will protect themselves. I've had mine run on 1.35 voltage while playing with overclocks.

May 23, 2020
Thanks, but i hit in games 100C, and it runs on 1.25v while playing
As another poster said, nothing to fix so far... that's actually a little cool of a running temp. Mine hits 75C under 100% load, I'm due to reseat it which should knock it back down to 70C under 100% load. I haven't taken my air cooler off in 3 years so the thermal paste has got to be a bit degraded at this point. I have a new case I'm transferring it to soon and I'll reseat it then. But 40-60C is perfectly normal. I think the thermal max is 95C where it will throttle itself or shut down to prevent damage. CPU's can and will protect themselves. I've had mine run on 1.35 voltage while playing with overclocks.
Thanks, but i hit in games 100C, and it runs on 1.25v while playing, but i am NOT on overclock. Idk why, tommorow i will get an Noctua D15 and hope will work on full load at max 75C

LetsPlayThisBro

Honorable
Mar 14, 2015
100C is too high, however, before jumping straight into a new cooler, you could try reseating the cooler you already have, sometimes the thermal paste isn't applied properly or is getting old. Another possibility is that the fans in your case aren't speeding up to remove enough heat. Not knowing your case and case fan setup limits advice on this side of things. I once knew someone who positioned their fans backwards, they were drawing air from the back exhausting it through the front, not the biggest error on the planet but it can make a huge difference in the thermals.

I'm just saying before throwing money at a problem make sure other possibilities are addressed.

Solution