Heatsink clips for my K6III+ 450

KillJoy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey, I've got a socket 7 AMD K6 233 right now and the heatsink is glued to my chip...
I just got a K6III+ 450 but the clip on my socket 7 is busted off...I have the offsetting tabs on the socket, but nowhere can I find even just the little offsetting piece....does anyone know where I can get even just the offsetting clip, I could monkey something around on another heatsink....please help, I can't use my new chip!!!

G

I went thru the same thing a few months back. I could not
find any heatsink/fans that had the offset tabs. I ended up
replacing the cpu socket on the mobo; this is not a job for
the casual hobbyist; it takes several hours to complete. The
only other option is to contact either Allied or Newark Electronics and purchase a tube of Wakefield thermal epoxy.
That is what was used to glue the heatsink to your original K6-233 cpu. This is a one way deal; once applied, the heatsink/fan cannot be removed from the chip. I have used it in the past with good results.

Good luck

Andy

BrianL

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Be sure to check that the original heat sink is really glued to the k6 333. A lot of the time, it is just thermal grease that has dried and hardened and you just have to insert a thin knife down there and it will pop off the heat sink.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Try getting a duron tbird heatsink fan combo many of these have the offset tabs you are looking for. cost a few extra bucks but alot easier than replacing the socket. i have used them for simular purposes and they work just fine, just be carefull they will fit a bit snug.