Heatsink for Phenom II 955 Build

mattbu

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Recently I ordered parts for my first build which includes the Phenom II X4 955 processor, Antec 900 case, Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard and Xigmatech HDT-S1283 cooler. I choose the cooler because of the Tom's review and a recommendation for a build with a 940 processor.

Well anyways, today I was doing some further research and it seems there's a problem with this cooler blocking the first DIMM slot on some Gigabyte AMD motherboards. I could not find the model number of the specific motherboard(s), but the possibility of it being mine scared me a bit. I've also read of installation troubles due to using push pens, as well as not being able to position it so the fan blows air to the rear of the case. I'm new to this so I'm not for sure if these will be actual problems or if they're minor complaints.

I'd appreciate any insight or new heatsink recommendations that ya'll can give. This site and these forums in particular have been a big help in pushing me to build a new computer.

you shouldn't have to worry about push pins with an AMD setup, that is for the intel setups

about the dimm being blocked, that could suck if you need all 4

i really don't have a suggestion though, maybe zalman of sorts, it's been a while since i needed an aftermarket cooler