Heatsink for q6700

figwe

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
Hi,
I have a dell dimension 9200. I was wondering if it is possible to use the existing heatsink (which cools a dual core 2.4ghz e6600) for a quad core 2.66ghz q6700 upgrade. My systems spec is given below.

Dell Dimension 9200
cpu: E6600 dual core 2.4ghz
mem: 4gb ram.
O/S: Windows Vista.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

Frank Igwe.

Ravenica

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
You could use the existing cooler like what gkay09 said.. But that new quad will be very very hot.. And heat isn't a good friend to the cpu.. :)

The e6600 is a 65W processor, while the Q6700 is a 105W processor.
If you do use the same heatsink, check your temperatures under load with Prime95 using RealTemp (on a hot day). They should not go over 70ºC.

Ravenica

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
I really doubt that the temperatures will not go above 70 degrees even without overclocking.. Running a quad with stock heatsink is not really advisable.. :)

A retail Q6700 comes with an adequate stock heat sink. It is at least similar to the stock E6600 heat sink which should work. Under load, the fan on a stock heat sink will ramp up, creating noise. For starters, you should be ok.

It is a pain, but the ONLY way to mount the cooler is to do it with the motherboard outside of the case.
1) The pushpins are hard to get down. If you try to do it with the mobo in the case, you will bend the motherboard and possibly cause other problems. Just put the mobo on a piece of cardboard.
2) You need to be able to look at the back of the motherboard to be certain that all 4 pins are through and locked.

First, look at the cooler, and play with the pins, until you understand how they work. Read the Intel instructions that came with your cpu. The trick is to push in a diagonal pair of pins at the same time.

If you go the oem heat sink route, look for one with a quieter and more efficient 120mm fan. Check the dimensions to be certain that it will fit your case.