[SOLVED] Heatsink for the WD SN850 Black 2T?

Xavier Bouttier

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2013
Hey all,

So I ordered all the parts for my gaming rig, and first time using NVMe SSD.. (My current gaming rig was built too long ago and runs on a SATA SSD and WD Black HDD haha).

Seen a few vids online, and read some articles and threads about how these SSDs can run hot. And I noticed the motherboards have integrated heatsink 'plates' that you remove and re-install on top of the SSD (including the MB i ordered, the MSI z690 carbon).

My question is.. should i go out and get the proprietary heatsink for the WB SN850 Black 2T, or should i stick with the one supplied by the motherboard?

Thanks for any help received!!!

Cheers,
X

Solution
I got this SSD 1TB version with an MSI PRO Z690-A board. Using the cooler from the board. The drive runs at less than 45°C at all times, compared to my old Samsung M.2 NVME which reaches 75°C easily in my old system without a cooler. So I think you should be good with the cooler provided by MSI, they seem to be really descent.
Are you sure that the 850 proprietary would not have any clearance or fit incompatibilities with the motherboard heat sink--or anything else on that board?

I've heard some degree of complaining about those types of issues, but I'm not sure about your specific motherboard and drive choices.

If they were within 4 degrees of each other and you chose the "hotter" one, would you be disappointed enough to want to return it to regain 4 degrees?

KyaraM

Admirable
I got this SSD 1TB version with an MSI PRO Z690-A board. Using the cooler from the board. The drive runs at less than 45°C at all times, compared to my old Samsung M.2 NVME which reaches 75°C easily in my old system without a cooler. So I think you should be good with the cooler provided by MSI, they seem to be really descent.

Solution

Xavier Bouttier

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2013

Awesome man, thanks!!