Question heatsink mod

Jul 26, 2019
I have a reference r9 290x and the stock cooler leaves much to be desired. the base of the cooler is a fairly big copper plate but the fins are made from some kind of flimsy metal and appear to be spot welded to the copper plate. i have a couple of smallish server heatsinks that have heatpipes. would it be and improvement to remove the stock coolers fins and attatch the server heatsinks to the copper base of the reference cooler? would it improve cooling over the stock coolers flimsy fins?
orrypf.jpg

pic of the coolers for the project.

Jul 26, 2019
That wouldn't cover anything but GPU chip and wouldn't cool VRM or memory, it may cool chip itself but the rest would overheat.
You might be better off changing the TIM paste and adding a fan to the side or bottom of the case.
thanks for the reply! i the mod idea would leave the factory heatsink in place but remove the cheap flimsy cooling fins from the copper base plate and replace them with the two small server coolers i have on hand. and i would replace the thermal paste on the gpu and use new thermal pads on the VRM/memory. essentially keeping the factory thick copper plate to contact the gpu/vrm/memory and cooling it with two small coolers mounted in place of the cooling fins it came with. would thermal epoxy be good enough to attach the coolers or would it require soldering?

thanks for the reply! i the mod idea would leave the factory heatsink in place but remove the cheap flimsy cooling fins from the copper base plate and replace them with the two small server coolers i have on hand. and i would replace the thermal paste on the gpu and use new thermal pads on the VRM/memory. essentially keeping the factory thick copper plate to contact the gpu/vrm/memory and cooling it with two small coolers mounted in place of the cooling fins it came with. would thermal epoxy be good enough to attach the coolers or would it require soldering?
All you need is more air.