[SOLVED] Heatsink on Radiator?

richard203

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
I was wondering if I can put some heatsink on the rad? I got some leftover after putting heatsink on the 3090. can i put it on the side of the rad or you can put them on the rad fin? thanks

Solution
Ahh, those heatsinks. Don't bother attaching them to the radiator, they'll do exactly nothing. The frame of the rad really doesn't have any affect on the operation of the fins.

Those heatsinks need a source of heat, so sitting directly above the rear memory chips on the backplate of the 3090, they'll have an affect, especially if you put some thermal pads between the chips and plate. Then the heatsinks will have a dissipative affect.

Otherwise all they'll do is cool off the backplate a little in that area, without really affecting the chips to any large degree. The heat has to physically transfer, air is more of an insulator than a conductor.

Ralston18

Titan
If there are no problems or issues then do not do so.

The applicable proverb applies: "If it ain't broke, then don't fix it"'

If there are specific problems or issues then post accordingly.

And include full system hardware specs and OS information.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
I was wondering if I can put some heatsink on the rad? I got some leftover after putting heatsink on the 3090. can i put it on the side of the rad or you can put them on the rad fin? thanks
Strictly speaking, you can. To no benefit, though. The individual VRAM/VRM heatsinks are tiny in comparison to even a 120mm rad. Plus the fact that you'd probably need thermal epoxy to attach the heatsinks securely.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ahh, those heatsinks. Don't bother attaching them to the radiator, they'll do exactly nothing. The frame of the rad really doesn't have any affect on the operation of the fins.

Those heatsinks need a source of heat, so sitting directly above the rear memory chips on the backplate of the 3090, they'll have an affect, especially if you put some thermal pads between the chips and plate. Then the heatsinks will have a dissipative affect.

Otherwise all they'll do is cool off the backplate a little in that area, without really affecting the chips to any large degree. The heat has to physically transfer, air is more of an insulator than a conductor.

Reactions: aldan
Solution