Tgeer276

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2015
Hi fellas, got a question for people with a little experience surrounding heatsinks for your CPU.

I'm looking to start a build in a Fractal Design Node 202. For those not familiar with this case, it only provides a maximum cpu cooler clearance of about 56-58mm according to what I have read, and seen others do. Realizing the cooling possibilities are limited, I do not plan on equipping the system with anything more powerful than a Ryzen 5 2600 or other CPUs with an equivalent TDP (65 Watts). Though keeping in mind that good sound levels and thermals are important to me for 80-90% of usage scenarios I directly sought the Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 which has a total height of 37mm with a 92x92x14mm Fan.

Option 1: Seeing as I have adequate room left, I had the idea to swap the included 14mm thick Noctua fan for a 25mm thick one, obviously of the same brand and 92mm size, bringing the total height to 48mm. The 25mm thick Noctua fan provides 50% airflow and about 40% more air pressure for a minimally higher noise level.

Option 2: I found a CPU cooler of another brand with a total height of 45mm (92x92x15mm fan) and had the following thought - theoretically I could purchase that unit and also swap out the included fan for a 92x92x25mm Noctua fan, which performs significantly better. In doing so I would moreover maximize my CPU cooler height potential, reaching a total height of 55mm, still within the limitations of the case.

Here is the question: Is it worth the hassle, trying to make Option 2 work and using different brand of Heatsink and different brand of Fan for the extra 7mm or would there be effectively no reasonable performance difference between Option 1 and Option 2?

The CPU cooler I came across in Option 2 is the Alpenföhn Silvretta.

Solution
Before you go out and buy a bunch of expensive fans, I would try the system with the NH-L9a fan that comes with the cooler. It may do just fine keeping the 2600 cool and be silent. If you dont like the performance, then you can get a bigger Noctua fan.

I build a HTPC with the Noctua-L9i cooler on a 6600k a few year ago and it kept it perfectly cool at stock settings. So if you are not gonna OC your CPU, then it should be fine at stock.
Before you go out and buy a bunch of expensive fans, I would try the system with the NH-L9a fan that comes with the cooler. It may do just fine keeping the 2600 cool and be silent. If you dont like the performance, then you can get a bigger Noctua fan.

I build a HTPC with the Noctua-L9i cooler on a 6600k a few year ago and it kept it perfectly cool at stock settings. So if you are not gonna OC your CPU, then it should be fine at stock.

Solution