HeatSink Spins and Stops and Spin again and Stops.

Luis_Uy

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017
I Was not having this problem before until one day my computer automatically shutdown and when i check the heat sink it is not spinning, So i take it out and try to clean all the dust from the outside and the build up dust at the sink. I never had this problem before. can someone help me please.. I really need to make this computer. :(

I tried giving a push couple of times but i still won't spin.
And my Computer is still working i can still use it but it's will turn off when my cpu gets hot. i also hear single beep when my pc is booting.

This is the video of my heatsink Problem: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P65Tt597ulE

I Have a
Processor:AMD FX 8150 Eight Core
Video:Geforce Gtx 750Ti
Ram:4 Ddr3 4Gb of rams.
Mobo:GA-970A-UD3
heatsink:Cooler Master not sure what version of cooler master.
PowerSupply: Performance 600W

The Paladin

Glorious
Ambassador
okay so your inside looks like this, and by this image your powering the fan directly with a 4 pin white Molex connector, which tells me your always running it at max speed, if you have this setup for 2-3 years, that fan needs to be replaced more than likely
shut computer down, get fan out, go to store, get a replacement (look for molex connector) and put it back in and see. cost anything between 4-19$ for a fan like that.

PS: while your at it get a can of air and below all that layer of thick dust everywhere inside you computer

The Paladin

Glorious
Ambassador
From looking at the video it looks like your running 2 fans on that heatsink.
How is the other fan performing?
How are the Fans connected (different fan controller or split on a single controller ?)
have you checked your fan speed monitor to see if the settings were maybe changed ?
also Fans have a shelve life and they do break down, could be time to replace it

Luis_Uy

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017
It has only one fan the other side is just a lines of metals. the other fans in my case is working fine. my video card is working fine too. split on a single controller, I only check my Bios and checked the rpm of my fans and it says 0 for my CPU fan which is my heatsink and i reset it. I did't change any settings in my computer because all i do in my computer is work and gaming. Any other way to know if my Heatsink is dead? I really don't know what heatsink should i use if ineeded to buy a new one.

The Paladin

Glorious
Ambassador
okay so your inside looks like this, and by this image your powering the fan directly with a 4 pin white Molex connector, which tells me your always running it at max speed, if you have this setup for 2-3 years, that fan needs to be replaced more than likely
shut computer down, get fan out, go to store, get a replacement (look for molex connector) and put it back in and see. cost anything between 4-19$ for a fan like that.

PS: while your at it get a can of air and below all that layer of thick dust everywhere inside you computer

Luis_Uy

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017
What do i need to change? The Whole heatsink or just the Fan? and do i have to change the molex connector too? or it comes with the fan when i bought it. And if i have to change the whole heatsink what should i get for mid range price. or i i just neds to change just the fan is it possible to remove the fan from my Heatsink?

The Paladin

Glorious
Ambassador
ye the fan should come right off (a screw maybe holds it in place, and yes you can find fans that have the Molex connector already on it, (look at packaging because many have the small 4 pin connector not the Molex.

The Paladin

Glorious
Ambassador
yes buy a fan of same size and with same connector... and btw the 2012-08-06 in red on the fan is the year this was made :) I put in bold items you should look for on the fan, the rpm is not as important but I would make sure is close ie : 1800-2000rpm. or get one that is variable 500-2500 :) would be an improvement

information about exact fan is : CoolerMaster DF1202512SEHN-2 12V 0.54A XtraFlo 120 CPU cabinet 120*120*25MM 12cm 4 wires PWM cooling fan
Product brand: COOLER MASTER
Product type: DF1202512SEHN-2
Appearance size: 120mm * 120mm * 25MM
Speed reference:Maximum 1900 rpm
Bearing type: alloy bearing
Service life: 50000 hours
Noise reference: 14-28.9 DB
Rated voltage: 12V
Rated voltage: 0.54A
Interface type: 4Pin port motherboard
Speed monitoring: support
Fan long:15cm

good brands like corsair, fractal design, Noctua, cooler Master, etc. will ensure a long life. they do cost more then a no name brand, but In a pinch , knowing in 3 month you will get a better fan you can get a cheap one, it will be noisier and tend to vibrate more.

ASK THE COMMUNITY