Heatsink was not touching CPU, opinions please?

rthorntn

Commendable
Nov 24, 2016
Hi,

I built a system around the SuperMicro X7DB8+ for a SCSI related project I'm working on, I had to source NOS or used parts, so I mistakenly got a HSF (Intel D98510-001) that was incompatible with the board (board needed an HSF with push pins), I found what I thought was a fix (Dynatron P/N DY-PBK-002G), it seemed to work but the system wouldn't get past the BIOS so I thought it was a CPU issue (the CPU's are used), unbeknown to me the fix wasn't working and there was a tiny gap between the top of the CPU and the bottom of the HSF (I figured it out when I took one look at the thermal paste and it hadn't been smudged).

So long story short, now I can't even get the BIOS, just a continuous beep, beep, beep (Phoenix BIOS) so hopefully only the CPU's (cheap price, well used) have died and not the motherboard (NOS), thoughts , advice?

I have ordered an assortment of thin 30x30mm copper shims that should get the HSF and CPU touching but while I'm waiting for those I'm worried that I have fried the board.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers
Richard

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Youre going to use shims to get contact between ihs and cooler? That sounds incredibly inefficient. Why not just get a correct cooler mount?

Board should be fine, cpu may be okay too, possibly. Probably just overheats since there is no contact there to dissipate the heat.

The problem with using the incorrect components, no matter what method you use to modify them to work, is that it makes troubleshooting any issues all but impossible. Use a heatsink/fan designed for that CPU. Even if you are on a budget there is no excuse to try and hack something together for such a key function.