[SOLVED] Heatsink won't fit on ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II AMD AM4

jbaisden80

Distinguished
May 26, 2012
So I just bought the ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II AMD AM4 motherboard and an AMD Ryzen 5 5600x cpu. The cpu came with a stock heatsink and fan that I had planned to use. When I went to install said heatsink, I found I couldn't because a line of transistors (I think that's what they're called) are blocking the heatsink from screwing into the backplate. I've adjusted the backplate so the screws go up as high as possible, but the transistors are still blocked. See the image. Does anyone have a recommended heatsink for this setup? My new setup is kind of stalled out on this issue.

Motherboard Image from google photos

Solution
those are capacitors
mainboard was made for ryzen 2000 and 3000 in mind when released...coolers from those would fit
if your wraith stealth doesnt fit, u might want to consider alternative cpu cooler
tbh its odd design, usualy capacitors are much closer to chokes to get some space around cpu
those are capacitors
mainboard was made for ryzen 2000 and 3000 in mind when released...coolers from those would fit
if your wraith stealth doesnt fit, u might want to consider alternative cpu cooler
tbh its odd design, usualy capacitors are much closer to chokes to get some space around cpu

Reactions: jbaisden80
Solution
So I just bought the ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II AMD AM4 motherboard and an AMD Ryzen 5 5600x cpu. The cpu came with a stock heatsink and fan that I had planned to use. When I went to install said heatsink, I found I couldn't because a line of transistors (I think that's what they're called) are blocking the heatsink from screwing into the backplate. I've adjusted the backplate so the screws go up as high as possible, but the transistors are still blocked. See the image. Does anyone have a recommended heatsink for this setup? My new setup is kind of stalled out on this issue.

Motherboard Image from google photos
Agree that going with an aftermarket cooler will be the best. That Wraithe cooler would have left you unhappy anyway.

Suggestions can depend on preferences...air cooler or liquid? RGB or simplicity? I'd suggest a BeQuiet Shadow Rock 3 if simplicity and air cooling is your choice...and at a good price for quiet operation too.

Reactions: jbaisden80

TRENDING THREADS