Heavily overclocked machine needs RAM

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
I actually haven't benched my current system as I haven't considered it a finished build yet. As of now it's only partially running, using some parts from the previous system I had.
Current system spec:

Asus P5KC
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6 GHz
2GB Corsair Twin2x6400 @ 800 MHz
2x 150GB WD Raptor in RAID 0
2x 750GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 in RAID 0
Gainward Geforce 8600GTS 256MB (Gold Sample, ofc)
500W Point of View Black Diamond PSU
Zalman Reserator XT
Iiyama 24" monitor

What needs upgrading: RAM, graphics card, PSU (depending on what gfx card I take)... and maybe a 2nd 24" Iiyama

As you can see the graphics card is a fairly heavy bottleneck, and that's before taking into account that I'm running 1920x1200. Add into that the fact I'm using Vista Ultimate 64-bit and you have a large chunk of my ram taken up from startup, too.

And before anyone says anything about RAID 0, I do monthly(ish) backups of everything important onto an external RAID 1 array of 3x 1TB WD Caviars

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I have an iiyame Vision Master Pro450 19" Aperture grill. I assume you are talking about displays and not monitors. As far as the two RAIDS, you are bolder than me. Once a monthish isn't enough unless you don't mind loosing a months worth of data. At any rate, what programs have you used to benchmark? Tell me what you have, and I'll give you the balance. Or should I just post what I have, it's only two or four and they are no secret.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
Displays, monitors, they both do the same thing with different names :p
I'm running an Iiyama ProLite B2403WS, the one that THG recommended as a 24" display, and love it.

When I eventually get around to benchmarking I'll take a look at options, until then I can't be bothered thinking about it too much. I'm building this rig to do what I want it to do and do it well, not to get higher numbers than other people :)

I don't generate that much data in a month that I would risk losing, the 3-disk RAID 1 array is constantly hooked to my PC and any projects I work on get saved straight to it, along with important documents (builds I'm doing for people, e-mails, etc), so all I really back up monthly would be things like music collections (re-rip 70+ cds? i think not!), save games, warcraft patches, you know, stuff that would be a pain to get back onto my system again in the event of a hard drive breakdown.

When I upgrade my PSU I might extend one (or both) of my RAID 0 arrays by a further hard drive, it'd mean buying a new RAID controller but whatever :p

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I did say aperture grill right? I know lousy 19" old hat. If you don't need to bench @ 3.6 then you are a better man than I. Kick ass, I want that, you da man.