Heavy cpu coolers

Solution
No it won't damage your motherboard but there are some precautions. Don't move your case with the cooler fitted. Don't bump into it. You gotta be careful with the case.

Harsh_11

Commendable
May 9, 2016
No it won't damage your motherboard but there are some precautions. Don't move your case with the cooler fitted. Don't bump into it. You gotta be careful with the case.

Solution
As long as you aren't shipping your PC via say FedEx Ground and their gorilla handling techniques, you'll be fine. I always wondered why a 1 - 2 pound weight was a concern when proper TIM application requires tightening the screws to provide 60 pounds of pressure. My son has a Jeep set up for "off road" so it has a very very stiff suspensions... and his PC survived 4 - 5 five hundred mile round rips a year when he was in college.... sometimes in the roof rack.

All the user builds we have ever done, arrived safely at home after user's picked them up

Susquehannock

Honorable
" I always wondered why a 1 - 2 pound weight was a concern when proper TIM application requires tightening the screws to provide 60 pounds of pressure. My son has a Jeep set up for "off road" so it has a very very stiff suspensions... and his PC survived 4 - 5 five hundred mile round rips a year when he was in college.... sometimes in the roof rack."

Because 60-lbs pulling square against the board is very different than weight at a right angle from the mounting. Especially with clip on type coolers. Venture to guess your son laid the case on it's side during the trips.

Because 60-lbs pulling square against the board is very different than weight at a right angle from the mounting.

No it isn't. I won't go thru the whole analysis of forces applied in a cantilever situation as I would when teaching a mechanics of materials or statics and dynamics course, but when a load is cantilevered, the forces on the board are as follows:

-The downward force is thru the center of gravity which would be slightly more than half way up from the socket. The lower screw attachment points are in compression and the upper are in tension. This creates a bending moment on the board of about 4-6 inch-pounds from those forces

|=>
|
|
|
|
|
|<=

Now we have the CPU hold down forces which also create a bending moment between the mounting screws. Just like you standing on a 2 x 4 between 2 cinder blocks, it is trying to bend the 2 x 4, and it does, that pressure is creating far greater bending moment (> 60 inch pounds than the above

|=>Mount
|
|
|<= CPU
|
|
|=>Mount

So warnings about a heavy weight sitting on a desk, a desk being bumped or riding on a car seat are simply FUD. And as I prefaced my statement with:

"As long as you aren't shipping your PC via say FedEx Ground and their gorilla handling techniques, you'll be fine."

So what we are talking about in the context of the statement you object to is a relatively static environment as I clearly stated and shipping a PC with an unsecured cooler is a whole 'nother ballgame. Most PCs rarely take more than one vehicle trip and outside of a car crash, going off-roading or something similar, transportation of a PC is of no concern.

Now if you wanna talk an entirely different scenario outside the context of that statement, FedEx Ground for example ... you can go on youtube and see cell phone videos are just about every carrier mishandling packages. Now if you are going to trust your PC to such potential mishandling, w/o taking necessary precautions that's on you.

This is not a measure of applied forces (baseball sitting on glass coffee table) but of momentum and impact loading (baseball being thrown at 95 mph at a window) ... as I said ... whole 'nother ballgame. In a responsible handling scenario which is the context of my statement, we are talking dropping a baseball on that glass coffee table say up to 12-18inches of drop.... with the delivery gorillas, we are talking dropping it off the Empire State Building.

Outfits like Cyberpower ship 1.5+ pound air cooler all the time ... do you think a majority of these systems being returned for new MoBos ? We started building, fixing PCs almost 25 years ago.... in all that time, I have come into contact with or know someone who had a damaged PC arrive just once. The box "made noises" when picking it up, clearly indicating it had been mishandled. Over that same period, I have had three PCs brought in for MoBo replacements because users installed a CPU cooler and over tightened the mounting screws,

1st - One of the washers had a burr on it and when screws where over tightened, this rotated and cut into the MoBo surface. Required new board and CPU as replacement socket 1156 boards were no longer available and MoBo manufacturer replaced 1156 w/ 1155.

2nd - MoBo was cracked from overtightenting screws

3rd - Overtightening the screws warped the MoBo apparently breaking contact in one of the circuit traces or solder contacts at some point and causing a memory error. Or, the CPU can actually lose contact with socket pins from board warping. Loosening the screws returned board functionality.

Not saying that a heavy cooler is of no concern at all, but yes the concern only exists when the machine is grossly mishandled. It's not going to happen when ya dog bumps ya desk ... it's not going to happen when you move the PC from desk to desk ... it will happen when pushed off the back of a truck.

The "heavy cooler myth" is just that ... an overhyped conclusion based upon supposition rather than fact, much the same as "rad fans should be exhaust as hot air risers" or DDR3 over 1.5 (or DDR4 above 1.2v) is '''ooh ooh scary, scary" and will toast your MoBo, CPU, RAM. If rad fans should be exhaust then manufacturers would not be stating in their installation instructions that "for best performance, install as intakes" .... Intel would not have RAM sets on the certified compatible RAM lists at 1.65 or for DDR3 (1.35 - 1.50 for DDR4)

In conclusion ...

a) a user has nothing to fear from a installing a "heavy" air cooler sitting on their desks, moving from desk to desk or transporting in a responsible manner. The bending / shear forces applied under these conditions come no where close to matching that applied by the mounting mechanism.

b) If you can't be in control of the shipping process yourself, make sure to take proper precautions. Remove or secure the cooler with bailing wire using the clip holes in the heat sink and attaching them to secure them to rigid case points... properly label the package as Fragile, This Side Up and insure it

Can damage occur ? yes certainly ... if the package is mishandled, of course. Does it happen often ? Well I think if it did, you'd be able to find 100s of posts that say "it happened to them" and document the cause. Instead we find threads like this:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/who-has-actually-broken-a-motherboard-due-to-a-big-heatsink.13550/

So yes, your chances of a problem increase a bit with a big cooler say of you knock the box of your desk, ship it "Gorilla Express", are in a car accident while transporting it ... but in my experience, I see and hear about more MoBo deaths from overtightening than from mishandling.

Atreyo Bhattacharjee

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017

Would the Cryorig casuse issues with my ram? I am getting PNY Anarchy 2x8gb

If you properly choose RAM, it's not an issue with most any cooler .... if the RAM has those tall toothy heat sinks, recognize that their only cooling function is to "look cool" . Regular RAM, aka "LP or Low profile RAM will rarely case an issue w/ any cooler. It would appear that the Anarchy comes in several versions. Check the RAM height versus the clearance on manufacturer web sites

The R1 Universal however is offset and normally isn't bothered by taller RAM, For the R1 Ultimate, note dimensions in image at bottom of page here

http://www.cryorig.com/r1-ultimate_us.php

Atreyo Bhattacharjee

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017
Also, is it rare for LP ram, like the Corsair Vengance LPX to cause issues with a CPU cooler?

Susquehannock

Honorable
Thanks. You just proved my point. :)

Your original point was non responsive and not in context.

And here again again, the part of the message you quoted bears no relation to your point. The weight of the cooler creates 4 - 6 inch pounds of bending moment ... the clamping mechanism creates 80 - 90 ...inch pounds of force.

In what reality is 4 -6 bigger than 80 - 90 ?

It's been many years since I taught college level engineering design, having spent the last 25 years heading an engineering consulting firm, so I'll blame myself for my inability to clearly explain applicable stresses and failure modes to those outside the industry. Regardless of how the load is applied, the effect in BOTH instances is identical in that a bending stress is created in the board.

First of all "pulling" is associated with tension not compression. Second, you need to make a distinction between "force" and "stress" ... The forces are applied at different points and directions in each instance but the stresses induced and potential failure modes are exactly the same.

The type of stresses induced in both instances are exactly the same (bending); failure will occur when that stress exceeds the allowable stress that the material can withstand. There is no possible way that, with normal care and usage, that the weight of an air cooler can create a stress sufficient to cause a failure. The relevant impact is the bending stress produced in the board. The position you have taken is akin to arguing that me standing on a 2 x 4 is somehow different from me hanging from a 2 x 4.

Contrary to what you said, the compressive forces are not the concern. The motherboard is NOT in compression (outside the small area supported by the 1/4" diameter mounts) and no compression failure has ever been observed. The MoBo is **bending** as illustrated in the image below. The relevant failure mode is not compression but tension resulting from bending stress in the bottom face of the board.

simple-bending.png

Just like when building a fire and breaking a small branch over your knee, is the failure mode the result of your knee "compressing" the wood ? Compression can only results in failure due to pulverization. No, a bending moment is created as in the image above. You can break or create a crack in the branch because of tension (not compression) on the far side of the branch away from your knee.

-Cooler force is represented by your knee (F)
-Opposing force from mount is represented by your hands (Triangles)
-Bending stress created between hands and knee will increase till tension failure occurs in the branch just as the bending stress created between cooler and mounting mechanism will increase till tension failure occurs in the branch

Tension is created on the bottom side of the image / MoBo and compression is created in the top side of the image / Mobo ... the forces are equal and opposite and however the allowable stress in both materials is lower in tension than compression, hence the tension failure or 'crack'.

less1_fig7.jpg

When the MoBo fails or cracks, it's going to be caused by failure in bending on the tension side. Tho the method of application of forces is different in both instances, the impact of those forces is the same in that bending stress is created in the MoBo and the Mobo, if it fails, will fail in tension.... or possibly shear (if mount has insufficient bearing surface)

The clamping mechanism is illustrated by the above images in that a force is applied in the center (Heat sink) between support points (mounting mechanism) ... this creates bending between the mounts and the center of socket ... and that area that is tension sensitive because of the sharp corners of the socket creates a focus point..

The weight / cantilver is a different force diagram due to locations of the force applied. Regardless of the location of the applied forces, the end result is the same. The motherboard will bend creating a bending stress, just at different locations. The defining fact of the relative impacts is that one is going to be15 times greater than other

The only possible failure mode is therefore in tension as a result of bending moments (or shear) as stated above. Again, only the point of stress changes, the potential failure mode and stresses involved are exactly the same except for the fact that the magnitude of one is 15 times that of the other.