Question Heavy,frequent lag that gets worse the longer the PC is on

chrisbojan

Reputable
Nov 29, 2016
Hello!

This has been going on for quite a while now. The computer has slight freezes (1-5sec) once in a while. Therefore, it lags when I'm typing, when I'm working the program has freezes,lags.

When I start the PC it's not that bad. It gets worse and worse the longer it's on..or so it seems?
As I'm writing this it freezes every 10-20 sec.

What I tried:
-updated all the drivers manually
-clean reinstall windows
-full scan
-checked RAM -> I have 2x 16 GB DDR4's. I tried switching between them, in different slots. Tried running the PC with one 16GB memory, tried with each one. It seems that the computer behaves just slightly better with one RAM. Doesn't matter which. But after a while, the lagging begins with one memory as well.
-cleaned all the fans and the PC interior. Made sure that all the fans are working so there is not overheating issue
-messed with startup options/power options (suggestions from the internet)

It is driving me nuts. I would deeply appreciate advice on this. Any way to check if the motherboard is the issue here?

Specs :
CPU : i7-8700 3.20 GHz
Motherboard: Asus B85-PLUS ( on system information it appears PRIME Z370-P for some reason)
RAM : 32GB DDR4 HyperX
GPU : Nvidia 1070TI + Nvidia 750TI

chrisbojan

Reputable
Nov 29, 2016
Yes, CPU usage is alright. 3-5% or so when I'm not doing anything PC heavy.
Yes, checked all the HDD's and SSD for errors. They are healthy.
From what I know, yes. Unfortunately I can't remember the model of it? I downloaded AIDA64 today to see the voltages and temperatures but everything seems fine.

I kept my old GPU when I upgraded because 3d GPU Rendering (i use redshift) uses both of the memories when doing the renders :D

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I missed it that first time, but your mobo cannot be a B85, it has to be the prime.

What are you using for a cooler and are you monitoring temps? Are you hearing rangy fan speeds?

Aside from that I would make the computer as simple as possible, no GPU, extra drives, only one stick of RAM, etc. to see if it runs well from integrated. If so start putting things back until the problem presents again.

chrisbojan

Reputable
Nov 29, 2016
You are right. I had this motherboard box that said B85 so I assumed that that was my motherboard.

I found the components boxes so the motherboard is indeed the prime.
The fan is CNPS10x performa + (that one is the cooler, i suppose?)
The PSU is Sirtec Element bronze II, 700W

The computer is pretty silent.

chrisbojan

Reputable
Nov 29, 2016
To be honest, I'm a bit scared of messing with the hardware - taking the GPU's off/drives since I didn't build the PC myself and I don't want to mess something up😓

Apr 21, 2020
you may have some bios virus that may cause the lag
and bios viruses cant be deleted with clean install so you should check if you have one and delete it using online guides