Helios 300 or alienware 15

nilotpalvasava

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017
I am looking to buy a good gaming laptop with good thermal cooling and features,
I want to decide between
1:- Acer predator Helios 300
i7 7gen HQ
16gb ram DDR4
256SSD 1 Tb HDD
GTX 1060
15.6 Display IPS panal
$1800
2:- Alienware 15 R3
i7 7gen HQ
16gb ram DDR4
256SSD 1 TB HHD
GTX 1060
15.6 TN panal anti glare 300 nits display with G-sync
$2500

I want to buy premium product they both are expensive but some one said Alienware has more effective thermal and more ports like thunderbolt with better port for VR.
I don't know what that means.

Solution
i don't mind color accuracy in gaming. actually in anything but movies and photos.
for gaming, IPS is not important at all. it's actually better to have a good TN or VA panel for their much faster switching. that not to mention IPS bleed which is very annoying. I went from an old IPS 60Hz 4ms 92% NTSC (way over sRGB and about the same as Adobe RGB) that i payed 1000$ long time ago to a 100Hz quantum dot VA panel - so much better...
Anyway, Helios has IPS and 700$ cheaper. Alienware has GTX 1070 and a G-sync 120Hz panel not to mention overall build quality, thermals, noise and even service. Is all that worth 700$ - yes. If OP can afford it, Alienware is definitely better from all perspectives.
Even looking in a long term, GTX 1060 can't...

The helios is the better one since it doesn't have an ugly TN panel for the screen and also a 1060 is not a card meant to do 120fps 1080p.

I could also just suggest you a better laptop inbetween those 2.

i don't mind color accuracy in gaming. actually in anything but movies and photos.
for gaming, IPS is not important at all. it's actually better to have a good TN or VA panel for their much faster switching. that not to mention IPS bleed which is very annoying. I went from an old IPS 60Hz 4ms 92% NTSC (way over sRGB and about the same as Adobe RGB) that i payed 1000$ long time ago to a 100Hz quantum dot VA panel - so much better...
Anyway, Helios has IPS and 700$ cheaper. Alienware has GTX 1070 and a G-sync 120Hz panel not to mention overall build quality, thermals, noise and even service. Is all that worth 700$ - yes. If OP can afford it, Alienware is definitely better from all perspectives.
Even looking in a long term, GTX 1060 can't do above 60FPS on max settings on 1080p. 1070 can. G-Sync will be very useful to have better visuals.
So from practical point of view, trading all those for questionable benefit of IPS is not really a smart move.
that not to mention that most people cant tell what panel they are looking at.

Solution