[SOLVED] Hello and Question on Wireless between buildings

Nov 3, 2021
Hello to the Toms Hardware community! I've a problem in my physical community. We need to get WiFi from the office to the archives building. The 2 buildings are approximately 300 feet apart. Both buildings are wood construction. Does anyone have a recommendation for a mesh wifi system that could do this? I am unable to string a wire between them as community rules prohibit "penetrations to the structure" for networking. I have been looking at the Linksys AX5300 Smart Mesh Wi-Fi 6 Router but it's around $500. While I think the community would fund that price, I'm a bit concerned given my history with LInksys updates (I've seen updates brick Linksys products). Any other suggestions are welcome!! Thank you all so much.

Solution
Uni-directional antennae could certainly do that, but they are primarily for outdoor use.

It is possible that lining them up through windows, or even walls, over a short distance is workable.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Transmission-Wireless-Injector-CPE710/dp/B08D71HC9L

And there are cheaper ones that you might try first, but I like this one for its simplicity. You just plug in their POE injector, run a cable to the antennae and another hard wired point in your buildings and you are basically set.

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202001/20200119/7106508556-CPE605CPE710_IG.pdf

Ralston18

Titan
Mesh likely to be very iffy.

Wondering:

Being a community project could the funding/ruling community committee simply waive (one time) the prohibitive rule?

Then just use wire....

For the most part the likely pros and cons would support the use of wire anyway and save community money.

Just my thoughts on the matter....

kanewolf

Titan
Hello to the Toms Hardware community! I've a problem in my physical community. We need to get WiFi from the office to the archives building. The 2 buildings are approximately 300 feet apart. Both buildings are wood construction. Does anyone have a recommendation for a mesh wifi system that could do this? I am unable to string a wire between them as community rules prohibit "penetrations to the structure" for networking. I have been looking at the Linksys AX5300 Smart Mesh Wi-Fi 6 Router but it's around $500. While I think the community would fund that price, I'm a bit concerned given my history with LInksys updates (I've seen updates brick Linksys products). Any other suggestions are welcome!! Thank you all so much.
300 feet without outdoor hardware. Not going to work reliably.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Uni-directional antennae could certainly do that, but they are primarily for outdoor use.

It is possible that lining them up through windows, or even walls, over a short distance is workable.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Transmission-Wireless-Injector-CPE710/dp/B08D71HC9L

And there are cheaper ones that you might try first, but I like this one for its simplicity. You just plug in their POE injector, run a cable to the antennae and another hard wired point in your buildings and you are basically set.

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202001/20200119/7106508556-CPE605CPE710_IG.pdf

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
For $140, I'd be willing to gamble it, especially through Amazon.

If you can find two windows, or even manage to put them on the roof or something? I imagine it is about having them out of sight and or not being able to use the mounts on the exteriors?

Or the cheaper $40 ones that run at 2.4Ghz, better chance of wall penetration.

Either might not be the fastest solution, but beyond that there is optical line of sight, which has its own problems and would certainly need mounting outside.

Nov 3, 2021
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm going to go back to the board and see what we can do to allow a cable from the office to the archives. I think the penetration of a single ethernet cable wouldn't be so awful. I'm going to have another look around and get some formal distance measurements. Unfortunately, there's no windows that face each other in the buildings in question. I do know there's power cables that run from the office to the archives bldg. so there's at least 1 penetration already. It's possible I can get someone to understand cost of equipment (and questionable reliability) vs a tiny hole and much less cost of cabling, with the added bonus of more reliable service. This conversation gives me a lot more ammunition for that discussion, so thank you very much!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
300 feet is pushing the limits of ethernet, so you may have to consider an optical fiber cable.

If there are already service tunnels or overheads, shouldn't be too big a deal. Just need to contact the power or telecom companies and see if they can will let you run a cable along with their service.

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm going to go back to the board and see what we can do to allow a cable from the office to the archives. I think the penetration of a single ethernet cable wouldn't be so awful. I'm going to have another look around and get some formal distance measurements. Unfortunately, there's no windows that face each other in the buildings in question. I do know there's power cables that run from the office to the archives bldg. so there's at least 1 penetration already. It's possible I can get someone to understand cost of equipment (and questionable reliability) vs a tiny hole and much less cost of cabling, with the added bonus of more reliable service. This conversation gives me a lot more ammunition for that discussion, so thank you very much!
How much bandwidth do you need between the two buildings? Is 100Mbit acceptable? Or do you need gigabit?