Hello, can someone aid on how to place fans...intake or exhuast

Esaelias187

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015
so i have a corsair h80i and i have brought the fans bring air in from the back of cpu into the radiator as push and pull. there is a fan on the top blowing air out, now i dnt have fans on the front, now i was wondering can i use this as exhaust to keep air flowing?

so it will be like this

>>>>>>> ^^ >>>>>>>
>>>>>>>

will that work

Most, if not all, chassis does not provide filters at the rear fan mounts, which is intended to have a fan configured as exhaust (being mounted at the top rear). Without a filter, you would be bringing in a lot of dust inside your chassis, which will be trapped at the top or front (as most chassis have filters at these fan locations). Furthermore, the distance between the rear fan mount and the top fan mount is very short. Therefore, the air you are bringing in at the rear would just escape immediately out top, hence, the front "exhaust" doesn't really do much but to create more noise.

A front intake (especially if provided with 2 fans) is very beneficial as it can bring the temps of both GPU and CPU. The intake air would naturally flow, linearly, from bottom front to top back. The rear exhaust and top exhaust would help in this flow while at the same time, removing heat coming from the nearby CPU and VRMs.

Inverting this process would lead to an uneven airflow and higher temps (not to mention, greater dust-build up and inefficient fan/s).

Esaelias187

Reputable
Mar 23, 2015

did what you said notcied the cpu temps actually raise lol