m4r1n7

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
The problem occured like 4 weeks ago. Iam using nvidia asus strix 1080ti card. The problem was like occasionally 2 times happened during Elden Ring -THE SCREEN GOES BLACK and GPU FANS start spinning ( you can hear them really good). I need to restart via button my pc and everythings back to normal.
After that Ive update my gpu driver and things were normal for a week or 2 And it started again when playing Elden Ring but then when I restarted pc it just happened every time on startup.
so I've checked on reliability and event viewer (in safe mode) to see whats crashing and it was asus gpu tweak app.
So ive uninstalled it and started pc (ive also reinstalled and checked razer synapse but that was not the case)
This time when Ive uninstalled asus gpu tweak and restarted pc game were running at very low fps like 1 or 2( gpu clock was below 150) I was like wtf and reinstalled asus gpu tweak but it didnt help (ive uninstalled asus gpu tweak completely,I still have asus cert and ctrl processes active, but i think its cause of mobo or?).
Only time my gpu went to normal clock speed was when SHUTTING DOWN pc completely and then games were running normal (god of war, elden ring .) And Ive updated gpu drivers again
Aaand everything was running okay for next 8 days
  • just to mention IAM using and recording with Shadowplay (have geforce exp) but I doubt thats the problem since as I said the problem with black screen and hyperventilating gpu started happening on every startup. And Iam using that program for a long time now.
so TODAY AGAIN.Iam in elden ring playing and BUM black screen + gpu spinning like crazy and restarted and went into game again and opened premiere pro( both game and program minimized) and went to bathroom , again same problem.
Ive updated bios and windows and before like 30mins ago (while in the game), again black screen with hyperventilating gpu. RESTARTED PC and my game runs choppy (gpu clock minimum) , shutdown fixed it but again after some time SAME crash happens. (while in the game)

I dont know what to do anymore.
I didnt install latest version 26.4.2022. of nvidia driver since I really doubt its the case anymore.
Now in my event viewer doesnt say anything about a crash ( just pc restarted from a forced shutdown pr smth like that)

Also on my shadowplay temperatures are around 60 C for gpu and cpu around 65 C when that occurs.

Iam using maximus VII hero (latest bios update)
i7 4790k
2400mhz ripjaws
144hz benq gsync monitor 1080p
strix 1080ti -
windows 10 pro (latest build)
750w corsair psu

Last edited:
Solution
So I didnt get any crash whatsoever while recording and without recording.
What Ive did is :

0. Switched psu cables into GPU, used other 2 4+2 pin cables for my strix1080ti
1 .Enabled IN BIOS on ASUS mobo INTEL virtual tech - SMV for some.
  1. Completely uninstalled graphic driver with DDU and installed fresh newlyNVidia driver
  2. Ive put shader cache to unlimited in nvidia control panel
4.Ive put for specific program Elden Ring max fps 60 in nvidia control panel.
  1. Ofcourse maximum performance, physix to gpu, enabled gsync foreverything.
  2. Verified game files
(I didnt find Content type reported to the display in my nvidia control panel as the guy in link mentioned, Iam missing that so I couldnt do it)

But for...

m4r1n7

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
Ive heard that recconecting power cables from psu to gpu fixes problem and cleaning full dust inside of computer
I didnt do it since summer and my apartment really gets dusty easily
Will try to do that tomorrow when I get from work

m4r1n7

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
Which Corsair exactly? If it's a CV, it could be the issue.

I have this one
839553756_97969324_o.jpg

The temps are more than good! The cables for power to the GPU, are they daisy changed or have you two separate leads going in...Separate cables to each connector is better.

Also if you have not, use DDU to remove any remnant of your old Nvidia drivers from the system and then do a clean Nvidia driver re-install.

Finally how old is your power supply?

m4r1n7

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
That's a decent enough quality unit, but how old is it?

Tried testing with each individual memory stick installed on its own?

It was good all this time ,I didnt change anything, doubt it is the problem all of a sudden
I saw some posts about Elden Ring causes this, that I need to try recconect psu cables to gpu and enable SMV in bios

Will try to do that tomorrow
and disable XMP on ripjaws maybe, cause Ive run out of ideas
Its like from 2014 as cpu,mobo, monitor, newest thing in my rig is strix gpu 1080 ti from 2017.

m4r1n7

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
The temps are more than good! The cables for power to the GPU, are they daisy changed or have you two separate leads going in...Separate cables to each connector is better.

Also if you have not, use DDU to remove any remnant of your old Nvidia drivers from the system and then do a clean Nvidia driver re-install.

Finally how old is your power supply?
I see that bunch of people having my issue aswell , it started some months ago for them aswell as Iam reading here on tomshardware
I have modular PSU so I put 2x 4+2pin connectors to my strix card, but they have another pair maybe I can try to switch it or clean them

I didnt use DDU to remove graphic drivers I could do that aswell cause before I was uninstalling the driver first then installing new one but Ive stopped doing that since my m8 told me you dont need to do that anymore on newest drivers, they clean themselves up and install new fresh driver.

My psu is like from 2014. or so, since my whole build is since then, only my gpu is 2017.

EDIT: same thing for this guy here https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...00-while-playing-gpu-intensive-games.3759619/
it started recently, Idk if its with Elden Ring or new nvidia driver or some bios settings messing up or cables

Yep I did see that Elden Rings is causing a few issues and found this one:

Also on DDU, if the problems still persist, I would still try it as driver update upon driver update can and does cause issues even today....And your PSU is near on 8 years and even if it turns out not to be the issue, I would look to replacing it soon...Not much of a help I know as nothing worse than a niggling issue that you cannot pinpoint and I have been there pulling my hair out!...hopefully others will jump in with a solution...

I see that bunch of people having my issue aswell , it started some months ago for them aswell as Iam reading here on tomshardware
I have modular PSU so I put 2x 4+2pin connectors to my strix card, but they have another pair maybe I can try to switch it or clean them

I didnt use DDU to remove graphic drivers I could do that aswell cause before I was uninstalling the driver first then installing new one but Ive stopped doing that since my m8 told me you dont need to do that anymore on newest drivers, they clean themselves up and install new fresh driver.

My psu is like from 2014. or so, since my whole build is since then, only my gpu is 2017.

EDIT: same thing for this guy here https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...00-while-playing-gpu-intensive-games.3759619/
it started recently, Idk if its with Elden Ring or new nvidia driver or some bios settings messing up or cables

Last edited:

m4r1n7

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
Yep I did see that Elden Rings is causing a few issues and found this one:

Also on DDU, if the problems still persist, I would still try it as driver update upon driver update can and does cause issues even today....
Yea will do fresh normal install like before (year ago) , recently I was just installing over another.

Thanks for this post, didnt find it,
Will try that solution tomorrow

m4r1n7

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
So I didnt get any crash whatsoever while recording and without recording.
What Ive did is :

0. Switched psu cables into GPU, used other 2 4+2 pin cables for my strix1080ti
1 .Enabled IN BIOS on ASUS mobo INTEL virtual tech - SMV for some.
  1. Completely uninstalled graphic driver with DDU and installed fresh newlyNVidia driver
  2. Ive put shader cache to unlimited in nvidia control panel
4.Ive put for specific program Elden Ring max fps 60 in nvidia control panel.
  1. Ofcourse maximum performance, physix to gpu, enabled gsync foreverything.
  2. Verified game files
(I didnt find Content type reported to the display in my nvidia control panel as the guy in link mentioned, Iam missing that so I couldnt do it)

But for now like 1,5hours of gaming its pretty good so far.

Solution