Hello folks, can this PC be sold for 400 bucks?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bobfan

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005
50 bucks at the most, because for the 400 you are asking, someone can buy a new e-machine at walmart that would be at least 4 times better, faster, with more hdd space, memory, etc. its good that you have rebuilt a computer and plan on selling it, but computers depreciate a lot faster than cars do, so upgrading and repairing an old computer would cost more than just getting something new.

Slappy_Slime

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
WOW $400 for a 733, hummmmm, wait a minute let us know if ya get it. 'cause I have a P-100 I like 2 sell it for $200 it has a 1.6 gig hard drive, 48 meg of ram, 3 1/2 floppy, CD rom and some dust, it really makes a good firewall, but it will run windoze 98. And I will throw in a smilley face sticker! O-yea did I mention it has a whole big whopping 16 meg video card, and a realtec ethernet card. Hummmmm then again I think I will keep it, it makes a darn good firewall/router box. Sorry to the folks who got their hopes up over this dream machine, but I cant really part out on this one...........cheers :D

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
I just build my second PC, this time with an old IBM desktop.

It's a 733 MHZ Pent. 3 Slot 1 system. Also with 256 SRAM which off sets the slower CPU.

I added a 80 GIG hard drive
Mid Tower with LED lights
Modem Card
Case fan for the heatsink
New software upgrade, including OS, MS Office, etc

The Case wiring was tricky along with certain BIOS configurations I had to modify and turn off. One example is a security asset chip set by IBM.

The MOFO headers isn't named and doesn't look like the headers we all know and appreciate. So, I was fortunate to have the Case lights working, but the power and reset do the same thing. I didn't want to risk disconnecting the wiring from it's connector leading to a similiar situation of soldering or terminal stripping, so I won't bother changing them again.

I was wondering, given what I have done and just making the old gal active, and looking newer with the new Mid Tower case, can she be sold for about 400 bucks including OS, software, montior, keyboard, mouse, and speakers?

This is the case image:

Thanks for any input.

PC Case

A few months back I put together this system out of spare parts laying around:

Athlon XP2000
1GB PC2100
WD 80GB HDD
GF 5700 Ultra
4x DVD+RW

Think I can get at least $1K+ for it? It runs Vista ok and I could even include my LEGAL customer preview copy with it.

If you can get $400 for your build, mine must be worth a fortune!

stefan238391

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2006
lol I just threw away my PIII 2 months ago. It has been taking up space for the last 2 years since its 10GB HDD broke and it didn't seem to work with an 80GB HDD (no-name mobo, impossible to upgarde BIOS). I only took out the CPU (PIII Katmai @ 500 MHz) because I suspect it will gain some historical value in the future (being an early, rare, Slot1, PIII).

And don't you mean "mobo" and not "mofo"?

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
People people people, you have to realize that that mofo has a 256bit encryption chip on it. So you can encrypt your emails and photos and things and stuff. That makes it worth it all the way. You people with your highend, mainstream systems dont know what stuff is worth at all. Its got a 256bit. Two-hundred and fifty six. Two-hundred and fifty six. Two-hundred...... and fifty six. And you can encrypt with that.

The OP is kewl. I know him. We ride the (SHORT) bus together down to the McDonald center (special needs) every day.

But seriously; I have a XP3200, 2x512 OCZ Platinum Elite DDR400/600, AIW-X800XT, A7N8X-E Deluxe nForce2 ultra400 chipset, and if I part it out on ebay I might be able to get around $300 for all parts and drives and fans IF IM LUCKY.

I love how in his really long post where he called all of us meanies and stuff I could just imagine the tears streaming down his face as he was typing. He cried. No doubt about it.

From all the posts he made I am going to give you a profile on this kid.

Hes of east-Indian decent about 16 yrs old if that. Has serious repressed latent homosexual tendendancies. A severe need for emotional validation. And when he get mad, he probably cuts himself or possibly the dog. His insistance upon this computer being of value, and that though he cannot box, he will be able to beat you up is just screaming Im in a bizarre emotional place most of the time. IMO hehe

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Pirated... Interesting. Given that ALL qualitied techs out here sell UPGRADES. Guess what? This is what I am selling. In a retail store they would charge extra for software. Don't assume; it makes you look unstable.

The MOFO is still a micro ATX, still in very good condition. The Pent. 3 is still in very good condition. Everything else is new. If you don't have anything positive to type, please don't comment because I am not going to let you get me down. I know you may have given up but I didn't. I took the risk and I'm proud of myself.

But a retail store has an oem deal with microsoft. you don't. According to the EULA you have a non-transferrable licence to use the software. Even if you included the software in your sale, the buyer couldn't legally use it. Also, $450 is WAAAY too much for a p3 system, so the implication is you're including some amount for the software even if you say you aren't.

Buy this half-eaten big mac for $200,000 and I'll include a free Ferrari.

>> The MOFO is still a micro ATX, still in very good condition.

But it has a P3 socket, ancient SRAM ram slots, and probably not even AGP slots, which makes it very dated and unexpandable so totally worthless.

Wow. When I made my first reply I only read the original posting and skipped the other three pages. I had a moment at work and was able to catch on everything between the original post an my response of "No."

First of all, like others have pointed out, many outlets sell machines for $400 that spank your P3 all day and all night long.

Secondly, don't sell someone a computer with pirated software. It's one thing to pirate for your own use, but it even more wrong on a completely different level to STEAL SOMETHING and then SELL IT to someone else. Pirating software is bad. You'll put dev's like BaronMatrix out of a home.

little_scrapper

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
well I was just going to say non white so as to be politically correct but that just sounds like I mean black and definately sounded racist so I just said what I thought by the way he words his stuff.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Bad. He may be an idiot, but it'd be wrong to put him out of a job.

I jest, of course it gives hope to simple fanboy types that he can hold a job down and be uncontrollably stupid at the same time, so it's probably a good thing.

On a completely unrelated note, that G3 I've got kicking about has been put to some use, so the OC experiment I planned a few weeks back is going to go on hold until it gets superceded by a lesser Mac in my pack, which shouldn't be too far away given I have my first Intel box arriving this week :D :D :D

bliq

Distinguished
To get a grip on reality, and not just listen to anybody here because people have distorted views of reality when you're dealing with high end gear I guess, check out ebay and craigslist for comparables. My guess is that it's probably worth $100-125. Primarily because you can get a $299 computer new, but you can't get a $100 computer new, and there are people who are on the market for a $100 computer to do their homework or for their kids. 733MHz is good enough for that kind of work.

It's worth more than $20, but not anywhere near $400. Even with the software.

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
I have an IBM PS/2 (gosh darn I hope that is the right model #) loaded with an 8086 processor, 20MB HD and one of those new fangled 3 1/2" floppy drives and built-in 12 color monitor.

I think I paid $2500 for the sucker (20 years ago). It doesn't have a mouse or modem.

Think I could get $250 for the computer?

hehehehehehe hahahahahaha

We all have done stupid things. Wasted money, time or effort.

When I was a kid my dad made custom furniture for our home (custom furniture made from plywood and 2x4's). I was real proud of the bookcase that I helped him build for my room. That was 35 years ago.

Still have that bookcase.

Think I could sell it for $$$$ ?

I doubt I could sell it a garage sale for $1. But I am proud of it. I think I did a good job helping dad make it. I think it looks good. But there is no way anybody is going to give me $ for it.

nanoprobs

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
You spend a lot of time on it, but because it's an old machine u can't really add a lot of profits into the labor. Plus prices on computer systems are very competitive, and $400 for your system is way too expensive. You are better off running linux or some folding @ home related application. It's not like quantum mecanic or quantum computer only a few people know how to make it work, so they get paid for a lot of money. Computer industry is very competitive, there are a lot of people out there repairing/rebuilding computers for very cheap price. So sorry u can't really sell that for $400, it's just not possible with all other competiter selling it for a lot less.

Ace242

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006

LOL why are you calling it a mother f***er? It's a MOBO: Motherboard.

Instead of insult and call my build "retarded

No, I think most of us are calling YOU retarded.

If I cannot afford a 3700+ with expensive sound blaster cards and 3D grahic cards the way you folks can

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103622

3700+. very cheap, also not the best CPU, try a C2E X6800. Sound blaster, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102178R , for a good audigy 2, $60, the only valid thing there is the GFX card, 8800 GTX: $630.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150205

But you can still get a very good card here: for 180
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130056

I live in a big city.

What does that have to do with ANYTHING???

No mention on how difficult it was to transfer the mofo onto a new Case

LOL mofo again...

This thread has made my day. Do you think anyone will buy this post for $100?

db101

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
When I was a kid my dad made custom furniture for our home (custom furniture made from plywood and 2x4's). I was real proud of the bookcase that I helped him build for my room. That was 35 years ago.

I doubt I could sell it a garage sale for $1. But I am proud of it. I think I did a good job helping dad make it. I think it looks good. But there is no way anybody is going to give me $ for it.
Furniture keeps its value much better than computers/technology as long as it's still functional. Just paint that bookcase and you can get a lot more than $1 for it. However, painting old computers is NOT the solution to increasing the resale value. :lol:

Threshold

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006

Furniture keeps its value much better than computers/technology as long as it's still functional. Just paint that bookcase and you can get a lot more than $1 for it. However, painting old computers is NOT the solution to increasing the resale value. :lol:

But it makes them look pretty!

@the OP: My apologies, but your stupidity has fried several circuits in my brain, and I am unable to give you a substantial response.

In short, HELL NO.

(I wonder how many more people have to respond before we give up on this thread?)

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
My friend should have tried to sell his written off BMW to this guy. I wasn't worth $h!t anymore but to him it was still special. (I scored out of it all though - nice set of 19" TSW rims sitting on my beemer now)