Question hello guys i will probably get a lot of hate because my pc is 10+yr old but i wanna upgrade it pls someone tell me what good graphics card supports my

Feb 10, 2023
my motherboard is gigabyte ga-m68mt-s2 rev 3.1
ram - 8gb
psu - generic
graphics card - gt630 512mb gddr5
cpu - fx4100
i am trying to upgrade my pc 1 by 1 and it would be awesome if someone tells me what i should upgrade first, my budget for the graphics card is 150$

would be awesome if someone tells me what i should upgrade first

psu - generic
don't add anything remotely expensive until you get a proper power supply.
the wattage you need will rely on what range of graphics card you may be getting.

and the card you need depends on what exactly you plan on doing with this system;
video transcoding you may be doing, particular games you're interested in, what resolution display you want to use, what in-game settings you would like to use in any particular games, what type of performance you'd like to see in those same games, etc...

you will also need a new CPU, motherboard, memory.
there is no "good" graphics card to pair with your current setup in regards to modern GPUs.
and $150 isn't going to get you much. you should look around some sites like Newegg.com, Amazon, etc and take a look at the prices of the last few generations of cards before deciding your budget.

You likely can't upgrade it one by one. Pretty much the motherboard/cpu/memory and even the disk to some extent you need to replace at the same time.
You also will likely need a new power supply even if you upgrade just the video card.
Maybe you can keep the case but that tends to be one of the least expensive items to replace.

What you might consider is buy a new system with a cpu that has video on the chip. These tend to not be very powerful but many are better than your current video card. You could then buy a video card at a later time.
Still it is not likely you are going to get much for only $150. Everything has gotten so expensive lately they seem to only want to sell things to people who think $1000 video card "affordable?"

There is not a lot of video cards that you can even get in that price range. Maybe the intel a380 but the drivers are still very flaky. Pricing on video cards is still all over the place but something similar to a RX6500 or gtx1630 will be close to $150.

I think the largest flaw in your plan is going to be the power supply. Modern video cards generally need dedicated power connectors that older power supplies don't have. Even video cards that can run on the power from the pcie slot may not be compatible since the newer forms of pcie slots can provide more power.

Feb 10, 2023
don't add anything remotely expensive until you get a proper power supply.
the wattage you need will rely on what range of graphics card you may be getting.

and the card you need depends on what exactly you plan on doing with this system;
video transcoding you may be doing, particular games you're interested in, what resolution display you want to use, what in-game settings you would like to use in any particular games, what type of performance you'd like to see in those same games, etc...

you will also need a new CPU, motherboard, memory.
there is no "good" graphics card to pair with your current setup in regards to modern GPUs.
and $150 isn't going to get you much. you should look around some sites like Newegg.com, Amazon, etc and take a look at the prices of the last few generations of cards before deciding your budget.
ok tysm for the advice i will try to upgrade my motherboard first

Feb 10, 2023
You likely can't upgrade it one by one. Pretty much the motherboard/cpu/memory and even the disk to some extent you need to replace at the same time.
You also will likely need a new power supply even if you upgrade just the video card.
Maybe you can keep the case but that tends to be one of the least expensive items to replace.

What you might consider is buy a new system with a cpu that has video on the chip. These tend to not be very powerful but many are better than your current video card. You could then buy a video card at a later time.
Still it is not likely you are going to get much for only $150. Everything has gotten so expensive lately they seem to only want to sell things to people who think $1000 video card "affordable?"

There is not a lot of video cards that you can even get in that price range. Maybe the intel a380 but the drivers are still very flaky. Pricing on video cards is still all over the place but something similar to a RX6500 or gtx1630 will be close to $150.

I think the largest flaw in your plan is going to be the power supply. Modern video cards generally need dedicated power connectors that older power supplies don't have. Even video cards that can run on the power from the pcie slot may not be compatible since the newer forms of pcie slots can provide more power.
ok thank you for telling me that i changed my mind i will use my $150 to buy a new motherboard can you suggest me a good one because i dont really know allot about pc i will buy a new setup because i currently have $310 on me right now

i will try to upgrade my motherboard first
you do not want to use this current power supply with any newly purchased components.
besides it possibly not being able to provide adequate power or even having adequate connectors; it could very well end up damaging anything connected and worse case scenario being a fire hazard.

and getting a "new" motherboard that suits your current setup is not a good idea.
no newer generation hardware is going to be compatible with your other components.

Feb 10, 2023
you do not want to use this current power supply with any newly purchased components.
besides it possibly not being able to provide adequate power or even having adequate connectors; it could very well end up damaging anything connected and worse case scenario being a fire hazard.

and getting a "new" motherboard that suits your current setup is not a good idea.
no newer generation hardware is going to be compatible with your other components.
no i mean buying a new setup with my money i currently only have $320 on me right now so i will try to buy parts when i have all the money i needed

I am not the best person to even think to suggest low end systems. I build assembled a number of machines for a friend over christmas one was a simple machine for web surfing and I think the cost was more than your $300 limit.

A lot of people like this site to play around with options. This is one of their recommended builds for a low cost gaming machine but it is still above your price range.

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/DWv6Mp/entry-level-amd-gaming-build

for school and gaming but mostly on gaming
what type of schoolwork
just browsing, reading, filling out forms?

and what games in particular would you like to be playing
new generation DX12 games, 10+ year old games, online MMO, etc..?

and what type of performance would you like to see in those games
higher settings with more "eye candy", medium settings with a high frame rate, ultra settings, etc..?

there is a very large range of options available and without any proper input from you, we have no idea what you're really looking to achieve with this new system.
currently only have $320 on me
at your current mentioned budget your best option would probably be a tablet for very basic browser based games.

you really need to come up with a max amount you are willing to gather together and spend.

i dont really know alot about pc
if you are wary about choosing components and building the system yourself you can try to find a local "mom & pop" computer shop near to you.
go in and explain the situation and what you'd like to achieve.

most places will assist in finding the components and putting it together for you.
many times they will continue to help with any issues that may arise later, with troubleshooting, and with handling manufacturer warranty claims for RMA, etc.

if they offer a complete build off the shelf;
get a detailed description of the system's components and it's price on paper.
come back here and show what they've offered and members can explain if the system would be worth the price.

Last edited:

Nice Nicer

Commendable
May 24, 2021
I would recommend not focusing too much on a single component. A good graphics card for example will be limited by the rest of the system if it doesn't match, for example if your Mainboard doesn't have PCI express 3.0 or you don't have enough RAM. 8 GB are definitely an amount that I wouldn't be satisfied with . If you think about it , 300 won't get you a system that can play most new games at decent settings if you look for something new. Now used parts might be the way to go, and a RAM upgrade to 16 GB should be easy even with less than 50 dollars. I have a similarly old pc and it can play a lot of older titles quite well and even some newer ones. The main differences in my case seem to be the amount of memory (16 GB , used to be 24 but I didn't notice much of a difference actually) and the graphics card. A GT 630 doesn't seem to be a good choice for gaming anymore, if it ever was. Anything newer than a GTX 750 TI or even a GTX 650 ( at least 2 GB GDDR5 ) would be preferable in my opinion although I am anything else than an expert. Those can be found used for halfway decent prices in my region. I think your initial idea was quite a good one, if you keep the budget in mind.

( Hope this doesn't sound too silly, english is not my mother tongue .)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It is possible to build in that budget:

Just need to re-use your SATA drive and chassis. If you have some terrible OEM computer, you will likely need to add a cheap case.

$45
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/vYp323/cougar-mx330-atx-mid-tower-case-mx330

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($128.97 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte A520M S2H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart BM2 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $287.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-10 15:12 EST-0500

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you can save up a little more, this will be better.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor ($128.97 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston FURY Beast 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL17 Memory ($48.98 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Total: $362.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-10 15:15 EST-0500

If you can save up a little more, this will be better.

PCPartPicker Part List
this would be viable start for a basic new system but we still don't know if there is a case available, if there is a decent display available, and there needs to be a graphics card since the main purpose seems to be gaming.

that would raise the price a lot even with basic gaming needs in mind.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Regardless of system purpose a Ryzen 5600G with 16GB of dual channel memory is going to outperform an FX4100 and GT630. Games, office work. Gets them on to a modern platform that that can be further upgraded to some degree. Though does get wasteful to maximize things.

An optional case is provided. FX4100 system is going to have SATA drives, so storage is taken care of at a basic level.

We can assume a display because it would be difficult to use a desktop without one. Main concern might be the potential for VGA only input, but HDMI/DisplayPort -> VGA active adapters are relatively cheap.

These are suggestions for an estimate on what it would take to replace the computer. Not necessarily the currency, locations, etc that are going to be the final choices, if any. There are many refurbished laptops that could do a fair job of replacing an FX4100 and GT630 as well that might be more worth having.

Also the advice here can be seen as evidence that $300 isn't really enough for a new parts system and that more should be saved before attempting a build.

Reactions: JohnBonhamsGhost
We can assume a display because it would be difficult to use a desktop without one.
which could be a 13" 720p thing, if one exists at all.
they could very likely just be navigating this site with a cellphone.

all we really know is that the OP doesn't have much money at this time and doesn't know anything about computer components.

they have failed to respond with what their expectations are for this future system.
no idea what type of games they are looking forward to playing, what settings they would like to see, or what performance they may be expecting, etc.

hopefully one wouldn't think they could build a modern gaming system with only ~$320 but we really have no clue at all.
could just be a 10 year old who found an old desktop and had wishful thinking in regards to gaming on it.