[SOLVED] Hello. I am going to buy the 3900x this will be my first PC build Iwould like to know what voltage I need when I overclock it to the max?

Jun 21, 2020
I'm going to use the Asus Strix LC 240 to watercool it. And my motherboard will be Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero.

Old School Overclock is just not worth the time and effort along with the potential of Prematurely killing your cpu from the voltage with the new Amd platform.
Amd has done a pretty good job of taking the benefit of old school ways out of our hands.
Setting Pbo and Pe letting it do its own thing is working best for my 3600x with 2 cores hit 4.392ghz. Vs the oc I had to work on for weeks to relize I have better performance, plus less chance of killing the cpu.
Best thing Cool the Beast and play with your ram.

Reactions: Phaaze88

konawolv

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2012
If you really want to OC it (because its still fun), then the first thing to do is to find what voltage your cpu is ok with running at.

Download HWMonitor64. Open it in sensor mode. Keep an eye on CPU voltage SVI2 TFN. Run Prime 95 or Aida64 stress test and watch that voltage for about 10-15 minutes. You will see that in the begining, the voltage will spike very high, and then low, and high etc etc. But, once your thermals reach a stable point, the voltage will remain mostly the same. Wherever that voltage normalizes at(and if it is flucuating between a few, pick the lowest one), thats the max voltage you should be trying to set on your cpu.

Once you have your voltage, you can then start to adjust your cpu multiplier, and other settings like llc.

Edit:

Also, try your best to not make snap judgements based on other people results. Ryzen is so variable, you're going to have to figure out what works best for you if you don't want to run it stock.

I see people on this thread claiming that ocing is A)more dangerous than pbo and/or B) inferior in performance to auto oc.

The real answer is it's not that simple. Pbo can degrade your CPU (heck it even states that if you use the setting, you're voiding your warranty). And auto oc can be fairly inconsistent/unreliable based on many factors.

For me, personally, I've had my best results with a manual oc because my CPU is unable to boost overly high on single core without massive amounts of voltage. And when you throw massive amounts of voltage to boost, your temps spike.and when your temps spike, it throttles your frequency. So, these high boosts you get are short lived. You will find that, in most work loads, your CPU will be running at 4-4.2 most of the time. And it will be doing it with, sometimes, very high voltages and temps. When manually ocing comes in trying to best what auto oc does automatically most of the time and at a lower voltage/temp.

Last edited: