Hello I have a question

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016
I am thinking about upgrading to SSD. And I would prefer to just have a clean install of windows 8.1 onto the SSD rather than clone it. How would I do this? I do now have the windows disc but I do have the product key. Is this possible to do if I get a new SSD drive?

Solution
the motherboard manufacturers website will have all the drivers for your motherboard.
the SATA may need to be loaded. if windows installs fine the first time then it didn't need them. once windows is installed install the network driver from the thumb drive and get the rest

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you have the key but no disk? is this right? all you need is a disk and you're ready to go. simply install the ssd and take out the hdd for now. then install windows ot it and your ready to go. put the hdd back in and format it once your up and running and it is now a data drive or ready for use in another machine.

to get win 8 simply download it from MS. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
you will need install media. CD/USB/ISO
shut down the computer, unplug the hard drive and plug in the SSD.
insert installation media, turn on the computer, verify the boot order, start installation.
when the installation is complete remove install media, and boot to windows.
shut down and plug back in the hard drive. verify the system is booting to the SSD.
when windows boots you can now copy friles from the hard drive to the SSD.
when there is no more needed data you can format the HDD if you so please

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016

Yes i dont think I can find the disc but the product key is on the side of my case. Windows 8.1 product key.

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016

OK not sure where to get the install media, i guess i have to buy it again?

USAFRet

Titan

If your OS was preinstalled, there should be a function to create your own install DVD. Look in the user manual for how to invoke this.

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016

So I buy a blank usb drive, plug it in, download the iso to the drive.
Install ssd, plug in usb, start pc
while pc loads up it will automatically detect the usb drive? Im not sure what you mean by load boot order and boot windows? is that me messing around in bios?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
yes. the BIOS-Basic Input/Output System will have a perferred order of boot, like first removable, second DVD, third hard drive/SSD
when you remove the hard drive, which is currently set as first device, the SSD should take its place after windows install. I prefer to make sure.
when you plug in both drives, the HDD may take the place it had, first device, and you will be booting to the HDD instead of the SSD, you will want to verify that the SSD is set as the first device in the BIOS to ensure you are loading from the right drive.

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016

Ok i read on those sites you gave me and so far I think I am understanding a bit better. I saw a video saying if I bought the pc prebuilt with windows already on it I might have a partition or some kind of way to boot windows installation without a disc or usb. Does this sound familiar to you? I was wondering if there is a way I can check to see if i already have a way to do this without the iso to usb way.

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016

os license? like product key?

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016

THis is what I understand so far...please tell me if i am correct.

Buy USB Storage device, download ISO, Download USB tool, follow instructions to put ISO onto USB.
Restart PC, go into BIOS set Boot order to boot usb drives before HDD
Shut off PC, unplug HDD, Install SDD, plug in USB device to front of my PC
Turn on PC, it should load according to my boot order.
Follow instructions when windows Installation pops up.
Delete all Partitions, make new partition, format it, and click next to install windows.

Does this sound right for how I would completely reinstall windows 8.1 onto a new SSD drive?

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016

Ok, i just went into Boot Menu for the first time.

This is what I saw.

UEFI: IP4 Realteck PCIe GBE Family Controller
UEFI: IP6 Realteck PCIe GBE Family Controller
Windows Boot Manager
Enter Setup

When I go to Boot Manager it brings me right to the Desktop.
When I click Enter Setup I find where it says Boot Sequence.
In there I saw 1,2,3 Under 1 was my Toshiba HDD, and 2,3 was the Realteck Audio I believe.

Once I put the SSD in and the USB i assume I go into boot sequence and make sure that the USB is selected first? Or should the USB be listed there before I select Enter Setup?

Then from there I just follow instructions to install windows to the SSD?

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016

Hey if I reinstall windows on a new drive, what drivers will I need to reinstall? DO I need to install the CPU drivers, gpu drivers, usb drivers? Anything I am missing?

djreedj

Honorable
Jan 14, 2016

sata driver? know where i would find that?

and i assume download most recent network and sata drivers onto usb flash drive then just load them on new ssd?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the motherboard manufacturers website will have all the drivers for your motherboard.
the SATA may need to be loaded. if windows installs fine the first time then it didn't need them. once windows is installed install the network driver from the thumb drive and get the rest

Solution