Question Hello. I need some help with a small overclock. Please.

goku15

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
Hello to everyone
So i am new here on TomsHardware. I recently built a new system and i would really need some help from you guys.

I would like to set my rig in a way, that my cpu could max out on all cores at 4.7 Ghz. How should i set up my BIOS?
I know that these CPUs can do higher overclocks, but for now 4.7 Ghz on all cores would be more than enough for me for some time, especially until i buy a better GPU (1080Ti or better).
My current BIOS version is 1002, but i plan to update to the newest version. Also my current BIOS settings are default.
I know some things about PCs (but not a lot about overclocking), so im not a total noob but i am no master expert like many off you Also did some research about my MB and CPU.
I use my PC for browsing the internet, microsoft word, powerpoint, excell, watch movies, and gaming. So i think nothing super extra demanding like stress testing or video encoding and the like.
My case is quite big and i belive well ventilated too (ventilators 1x 120mm front, bottom,rear and top and i also put 1x50 mm ventilator on the VRMs, like Asus recommends if you plan to overclock) . Did a nice cable management too.
So below are my spec.

MB: ASUS PRIME Z370-A
CPU: INTEL i7-8700K
CPU COOLER: CRYORIG R1 UNIVERSAL
RAM: CRUCIAL Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000MHz (stock in bios is 2400MHz, XMP enabled is 3000Mhz)
GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 580 8Gb
SSD: SAMSUNG 850 PRO
HDD: WD 2.0 TB
ODD: some DVD+-RW
PSU: Corsair TX750M
I think that all the important info you guys need.

So like i said, really mild overclock, 4.7 Ghz on all cores. But i would like my voltage to be quite low because of the temps.
Also if possible i wouldnt like to change too much settings in BIOS. I can live with ASUS MCE ON
I looked on the internet and found many different opinions. Some say MCE OFF some ON, then Ai OVERCLOCK MANUAL some say XMP and so on and so on, you get what i mean, right.
Also i would like it to be so that the CPU "adapts" to the current needs, so what i mean is that it lowers its speed when its not needed and boost its self up when it is needed.

Ok so thats it, i hope i didnt write too much in here, also i hope that im not too demandig
I really need you help people and i would be very grateful for any kind of help you can give me.

BTW: this forum is awesome. I have a lot of reading to do

Thank you all.

goku15

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
So what now? Should i use default settings in BIOS and just turn of MCE, set multiplier to 47 and sync all cores, and maybe put vcore voltage on manual or adaptive and for starters at 1.25V. Then i start thermal and stabilitiy testing.
What about Turbo, should i disable that feature?

goku15

Reputable
Mar 24, 2019
Ok, so i think i got everything set up (everything on default except MCE on, svid enabled, svid set to best case scenario).
Maybe i could lower cpu voltage somehow but i dont know how? Right now its on 1,293 V at max. load.
I have cpu core voltage set on auto and i enabled svid behaviour and set it to best case scenario. Any thoughts?

Edit: actually 1,293 V at max. load is VID in HWinfo. The real vcore was max at 1.253 volts.
As far as i know, vid is what the cpu request and vcore is what it actually gets? Right?
So maybe 1.253 volts for a 4.7Ghz all core speed ist that bad.
Max temp on a single core was 69 C.
Everything works ok, no errors in any tests. I have to do longer tests as i have only ran prime95 small ftt, cinebench r 20 and intel xtu, each test for about 15 min.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS