Hello, would you help me build a computer to $ 1,200 to play CS: GO GTA 5 and later new games that come out?

Martin_37

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
Hello, would you help me build a computer to $ 1,200 to play CS: GO GTA 5 and later new games that come out? I am 15 years old boy and finding good PC for gaming

Solution
You may want to purchase a built system, Ibuypower or another PC building company that has the best deal for what you want.

NO!!! That's a terrible idea - iBUYPOWER and Cyberpower are the worst of the worst, in terms of build quality and terms of parts that have failed. Build your own - it will serve you much better and you'll have the added satisfaction of knowing exactly what's in your system.

Assuming you don't need monitor, keyboard, OS license or mouse:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($254.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A...
Here you go, this should play anything reasonably well. I included a monitor, wasn't sure if you needed one. If you want to build the computer read up on how to do it, you have to watch for things like static electricity.

To see the full details, just click on the link below.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rmj8f7
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rmj8f7/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($84.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB Double Dissipation Black Edition Video Card
Case: Zalman Z11 NEO ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($93.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer ($14.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC56 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($61.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($262.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1119.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-08 14:28 EST-0500

SKIPPY PB

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
$,1200... what do you already have? Do forget to get a good mouse, headset, decent keyboard, etc. Will your parent or guardians help you build it, do you want to build it?

You may want to purchase a built system, Ibuypower or another PC building company that has the best deal for what you want.

g-unit1111

Titan

NO!!! That's a terrible idea - iBUYPOWER and Cyberpower are the worst of the worst, in terms of build quality and terms of parts that have failed. Build your own - it will serve you much better and you'll have the added satisfaction of knowing exactly what's in your system.

Assuming you don't need monitor, keyboard, OS license or mouse:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($254.88 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($152.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($338.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Directron)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1172.08
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-14 18:54 EST-0500

Solution
Just an FYI, NCIX has a service where you can purchase the components from them and they will assemble the components, install the OS and then do some stress testing. Not sure of the cost in the US, here in Canada it is $50-$75. Usually cheaper to do it this way over buying a pre-built system and you have control over the component choice and quality.

SKIPPY PB

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015

How do you figure? I worked for BMW and the best solution to fixing most problems is to do it yourself but not everyone wants to or can do that. It may cost him more in the long run, having satisfaction from building the PC yourself is a personal outlook on the topic. Some people would rather just play there game then mess around building there computer. I don't see how that is a terrible solution, but you may be one who insist's that Apple and Alienware computers are complete garage and useless.

There should be warranties with those companies and for the components. The plus side is you get a bunch of general components and not proprietary designs like you would from mainstream manufactures like Dell, Alienware, HP, Apple, etc. So the ability to upgrade is there.

A GTX 750 and an i3 can handle most games with 8 gig's of ram. What is the real question here, post up what you would build for $1200 or help him create his own build?

Still has to answer whether he needs paraphernalia or not? i.e. keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc?

And have you played counter strike before?

g-unit1111

Titan

But there are absolutely no good pre built vendors out there. The good ones like Falcon Northwest, Origin and Maingear charge too much for any system of decent quality (we're talking $5 - $6K minimum). Go with a vendor like Cyberpower and you're stuck with a bunch of garbage components and poor build quality and you will almost immediately have to replace some components, and Cyberpower charges you an arm and a leg for shipping on defective components. Go with a big box vendor like Asus, Dell (Alienware), or Sony, and not only are you stuck with overpriced junk, the operating system is loaded with so much bloatware that it's almost unusable. Building your own system is not that difficult and nearly every vendor is good about replacing parts if they're defective.

I never advocate building or buying with the intention of upgrading because in the end, you'll spend twice or three times as much as you would on a system and then you're stuck with a lot of components you'll never need or use again. Cyberpower uses a lot of garbage hardware in sub $1200 systems like Apevia and Raidmax, and uses generic power supplies that should immediately be replaced. And don't get me started on their cable management.

USAFRet

Titan

There is a large difference between building your own, and Dell/Alienware.
There is a large difference between Apple/Alienware, and CyberPower or iBuyPower.

The horror stories about IBuyPower/CyberPower are many and varied.

At $5-600 and below, buy one. Above that, you really, really need to look at what that prebuilt thing is.
Building may not be 'cheaper', but it WILL have better parts overall.

SKIPPY PB

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015

Whether there are good vendors out there currently or not I cannot tell you as I haven't looked around in a really long time. But I do remember plenty of places that you can option up a build and they will assemble it for you much like the place the other poster was talking of. Don't they even offer assembly at new egg? Also there are many "repair" places, that are the small indie type, anything really that is not main stream should be willing to create a build for you. I beg to differ with this opinion but its unnecessary to clutter up this thread for that.

If you want to build you own PC by yourself why don't we start like this.

1. How big do you want it to be? Is space a concern? Do you want it to be small enough that you can carry it to a friends house easily?

That will help you pick the case and thats usually where I start. If I am trying to do a small build the size of an Xbox im going to be looking at an ITX motherboard. If im doing the big tower im going to take a look at an ATX case. Grab yourself a tape measure and start looking at some cases maybe. At 15 you will probably find one you really like and want to build around that.

Figure out what you want to do with it. Finding a case should then narrow down your motherboard list.

2. Now figure out if you want to go AMD or Intel. There are fan boys for both saying one is the best and the other sucks. Like my other argument they both work.

There are 4 main components to narrow down; Case, motherboard, CPU and RAM. Then you need a power supply and graphics card but those should be easier to choose.

However back to the first question I had, do you keyboard, monitor, mouse, etc because that'll cut into your budget. And no one can really give you any suggestions without knowing that.

EDIT: I apologies I misinterpreted the original post. For some reason I thought the question was along the lines of would you help me find a new computer that is good for gaming.

logainofhades

Titan
Assuming you need a full blown system.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK AIDOS BLACK 48.6 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($100.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($75.59 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card ($309.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case ($45.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer ($13.89 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor ($130.98 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($25.59 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1202.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-15 09:25 EST-0500

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah there is the option of the repair shop, but Newegg does not offer assembly. The only place I know of that does that at least in North America is NCIX.

1. How big do you want it to be? Is space a concern? Do you want it to be small enough that you can carry it to a friends house easily?

That will help you pick the case and thats usually where I start. If I am trying to do a small build the size of an Xbox im going to be looking at an ITX motherboard. If im doing the big tower im going to take a look at an ATX case. Grab yourself a tape measure and start looking at some cases maybe. At 15 you will probably find one you really like and want to build around that.

Figure out what you want to do with it. Finding a case should then narrow down your motherboard list.

I never recommend anyone go full tower anymore, and on a budget of $1200 I can assume you do not have the intention of building a rig that's capable of 4-way SLI or a full custom CPU - GPU liquid loop. Although even standard ATX towers can handle that anymore. Micro ATX and mini ITX builds are becoming far more common than you'd think and it's amazing how much PC you can squeeze into tiny form factors. If you wanted to you could build a rig with a 5960X and a TItan X in mini ITX.

2. Now figure out if you want to go AMD or Intel. There are fan boys for both saying one is the best and the other sucks. Like my other argument they both work.

They do, but if you look at the current benchmarks, even the highest end AMD processors get destroyed by the lowest end i3s. It's not fanboy logic (or lack thereof), it's rigorous testing to prove CPU efficiency where it matters most. Yeah, AMD fans may throw the "AMD performs better in synthetic benchmarks" argument, but really - they're meaningless benchmarks designed to test core efficiency - who has ever said they want a rig that performs better in Cinebench? In Fallout 4 and GTA V, the FX-9590 gets beat by the i3-6100. FX is a three year old processor on a nearly 10 year old platform. Makes no sense to buy at this point. And whether or not AMD's next generation platform will beat Intel's remains to be seen.

There are 4 main components to narrow down; Case, motherboard, CPU and RAM. Then you need a power supply and graphics card but those should be easier to choose.

There's a lot of low budget crap for cases and power supplies in the sub $1200 range. Choose good ones and they'll last forever. Choose bad ones and well, it won't end well. Right now the best power supply you can buy in the $50 - $100 range is the EVGA G2 series. The 650W retails for around $80 and the 750W retails for around $95. The Seasonic X 750 is a very close second.