I am following the walkthrough on NWN chapter 1 on Gamebanshee. I have come
across the demon in Helms Hold. The walkthrough states that:

"First, you need the Black Grimoire not to complete the ritual but instead
banish Chaohinon. For banishing the demon you will be rewarded with 375
experience points. You will also need the Book of Helm, which can be
obtained from area #7, in order to summon the Guardian Spirit of Helm. You
can then ask the Spirit for a boon as well. You can choose between a magic
item, Ring of Elemental resistance, a magic weapon, Elven Court Bow, a
temporary buff or an insight on the events that have occurred and things to
come.

Eventually the Spirit will depart but not before he gives you a Periapt of
Wisdom +1. You will also be rewarded with another 375 experience points."

I banish the demon and earn 300 experience points, then summon the Guardian
Spirit of Helm. I choose the magic item, the ring. Now here comes the part i
really want, "he gives you a Periapt of Wisdom +1" (i am playing a cleric
and this would be of great benefit). However when i take the ring from him
he says he must go and then that's it, no wisdom +1, he gives me 300
experience points. My wisdom is originally 19 (and i have a necklace that i
found that gives my wisdom+1 anyway), however i really want this. Could it
be possible that the walkthrough is wrong or am i doing something wrong?
Advice would be much appreciated.

here is a link to the walkthrough:
http://www.gamebanshee.com/neverwinternights/nwnwalkthrough/helmshold.php
see "the good way" under point 4.

Eric Giber wrote:
> I am following the walkthrough on NWN chapter 1 on Gamebanshee. I have come
> across the demon in Helms Hold. The walkthrough states that:
>
> "First, you need the Black Grimoire not to complete the ritual but instead
> banish Chaohinon. For banishing the demon you will be rewarded with 375
> experience points. You will also need the Book of Helm, which can be
> obtained from area #7, in order to summon the Guardian Spirit of Helm. You
> can then ask the Spirit for a boon as well. You can choose between a magic
> item, Ring of Elemental resistance, a magic weapon, Elven Court Bow, a
> temporary buff or an insight on the events that have occurred and things to
> come.
>
> Eventually the Spirit will depart but not before he gives you a Periapt of
> Wisdom +1. You will also be rewarded with another 375 experience points."
>
> I banish the demon and earn 300 experience points, then summon the Guardian
> Spirit of Helm. I choose the magic item, the ring. Now here comes the part i
> really want, "he gives you a Periapt of Wisdom +1" (i am playing a cleric
> and this would be of great benefit). However when i take the ring from him
> he says he must go and then that's it, no wisdom +1, he gives me 300
> experience points. My wisdom is originally 19 (and i have a necklace that i
> found that gives my wisdom+1 anyway), however i really want this. Could it
> be possible that the walkthrough is wrong or am i doing something wrong?
> Advice would be much appreciated.
>
> here is a link to the walkthrough:
> http://www.gamebanshee.com/neverwinternights/nwnwalkthrough/helmshold.php
> see "the good way" under point 4.

Isn't this a question about life-in-general? Should I do this? Should I
do that? What will the consequences be?
This is an RPG.
Soz - don't want to sound too dismissive or whatever - but the game is
about choices and their consequences; like life - how do you react to
situations? We cannot know everything or even expect to have a perfect
walk through our time here, we all have choices to make and must live
with the results of making those choices.
</philosophising bullshit>
CS

--

Take the piss to mail me.
(For those that want to know who the

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:00:46 +1000, "Eric Giber"
<Ericciva@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I banish the demon and earn 300 experience points, then summon the Guardian
>Spirit of Helm. I choose the magic item, the ring. Now here comes the part i
>really want, "he gives you a Periapt of Wisdom +1" (i am playing a cleric
>and this would be of great benefit). However when i take the ring from him
>he says he must go and then that's it, no wisdom +1, he gives me 300
>experience points. My wisdom is originally 19 (and i have a necklace that i
>found that gives my wisdom+1 anyway), however i really want this. Could it
>be possible that the walkthrough is wrong or am i doing something wrong?
>Advice would be much appreciated.

If you already have a necklace that gives wisdom +1 there's no reason
for the periapt. They go in the same slot.

Central Scrutinizer wrote:
> Eric Giber wrote:
>
>> I am following the walkthrough on NWN chapter 1 on Gamebanshee. I have
>> come
>> across the demon in Helms Hold. The walkthrough states that:
>>
>> "First, you need the Black Grimoire not to complete the ritual but
>> instead
>> banish Chaohinon. For banishing the demon you will be rewarded with 375
>> experience points. You will also need the Book of Helm, which can be
>> obtained from area #7, in order to summon the Guardian Spirit of Helm.
>> You
>> can then ask the Spirit for a boon as well. You can choose between a
>> magic
>> item, Ring of Elemental resistance, a magic weapon, Elven Court Bow, a
>> temporary buff or an insight on the events that have occurred and
>> things to
>> come.
>>
>> Eventually the Spirit will depart but not before he gives you a
>> Periapt of
>> Wisdom +1. You will also be rewarded with another 375 experience points."
>>
>> I banish the demon and earn 300 experience points, then summon the
>> Guardian
>> Spirit of Helm. I choose the magic item, the ring. Now here comes the
>> part i
>> really want, "he gives you a Periapt of Wisdom +1" (i am playing a cleric
>> and this would be of great benefit). However when i take the ring from
>> him
>> he says he must go and then that's it, no wisdom +1, he gives me 300
>> experience points. My wisdom is originally 19 (and i have a necklace
>> that i
>> found that gives my wisdom+1 anyway), however i really want this.
>> Could it
>> be possible that the walkthrough is wrong or am i doing something wrong?
>> Advice would be much appreciated.
>>
>> here is a link to the walkthrough:
>> http://www.gamebanshee.com/neverwinternights/nwnwalkthrough/helmshold.php
>> see "the good way" under point 4.
>>

> Isn't this a question about life-in-general? Should I do this? Should I
> do that? What will the consequences be?
> This is an RPG.
> Soz - don't want to sound too dismissive or whatever - but the game is
> about choices and their consequences; like life - how do you react to
> situations? We cannot know everything or even expect to have a perfect
> walk through our time here, we all have choices to make and must live
> with the results of making those choices.
> </philosophising bullshit>
> CS

Sorry Eric - I was just having one of those days.
CS

--

After serious thinking Central Scrutinizer wrote :
> Central Scrutinizer wrote:
>> Eric Giber wrote:
>>
>>> I am following the walkthrough on NWN chapter 1 on Gamebanshee. I have
>>> come
>>> across the demon in Helms Hold. The walkthrough states that:
>>>
>>> "First, you need the Black Grimoire not to complete the ritual but instead
>>> banish Chaohinon. For banishing the demon you will be rewarded with 375
>>> experience points. You will also need the Book of Helm, which can be
>>> obtained from area #7, in order to summon the Guardian Spirit of Helm. You
>>> can then ask the Spirit for a boon as well. You can choose between a magic
>>> item, Ring of Elemental resistance, a magic weapon, Elven Court Bow, a
>>> temporary buff or an insight on the events that have occurred and things
>>> come.
>>>
>>> Eventually the Spirit will depart but not before he gives you a Periapt of
>>> Wisdom +1. You will also be rewarded with another 375 experience points."
>>>
>>> I banish the demon and earn 300 experience points, then summon the
>>> Guardian
>>> Spirit of Helm. I choose the magic item, the ring. Now here comes the part
>>> really want, "he gives you a Periapt of Wisdom +1" (i am playing a cleric
>>> and this would be of great benefit). However when i take the ring from him
>>> he says he must go and then that's it, no wisdom +1, he gives me 300
>>> experience points. My wisdom is originally 19 (and i have a necklace that
>>> found that gives my wisdom+1 anyway), however i really want this. Could it
>>> be possible that the walkthrough is wrong or am i doing something wrong?
>>> Advice would be much appreciated.
>>>
>>> here is a link to the walkthrough:
>>> http://www.gamebanshee.com/neverwinternights/nwnwalkthrough/helmshold.php
>>> see "the good way" under point 4.
>>>

>> Isn't this a question about life-in-general? Should I do this? Should I do
>> that? What will the consequences be?
>> This is an RPG.
>> Soz - don't want to sound too dismissive or whatever - but the game is
>> about choices and their consequences; like life - how do you react to
>> situations? We cannot know everything or even expect to have a perfect walk
>> through our time here, we all have choices to make and must live with the
>> results of making those choices.
>> </philosophising bullshit>
>> CS
>>
> Sorry Eric - I was just having one of those days.
> CS

"Those Days" Are far too common anymore... =P
As I recall, Eric, I played a cleric too the first time I played the
OC. I got the periapt of wisdom, but I made a choice not to accept an
item, there was something about being able to ask Helm about things
instead of recieving a magic item and that's how I got it.

Hope that helps,

DS

--
As we passed on
It seemed as if those scenes

--- Meriwether Lewis.

Ahh... that explains why I didn't get those things and it didn't sound
all that familiar. One of these days, if I get really bored and have a
lot of time, I may go through the OC again.... or maybe not :)

Eric Giber wrote:

> I banish the demon and earn 300 experience points, then summon the Guardian
> Spirit of Helm. I choose the magic item, the ring. Now here comes the part i
> really want, "he gives you a Periapt of Wisdom +1" (i am playing a cleric
> and this would be of great benefit). However when i take the ring from him
> he says he must go and then that's it, no wisdom +1, he gives me 300
> experience points. My wisdom is originally 19 (and i have a necklace that i
> found that gives my wisdom+1 anyway), however i really want this. Could it
> be possible that the walkthrough is wrong or am i doing something wrong?
> Advice would be much appreciated.

The walkthrough is incorrect. It appears it was based on a single
Lawful Good character.

/If/ you are Good, the Guardian will offer you its insight. If not, you
don't get that option. Conversely, if you are evil and summon the demon
instead, the demon will offer you its insight.

You get the Periapt of Wisdom only if you are Lawful Good. Conversely,
the demon will give you an extra item if you summon it and are Chaotic Evil.

You know that necklace....it IS the Wisdom periapt. Hehe, i looked at it
today and noticed that it was so. However, like i said, i obtained this
earlier in the OC. Hmmmmm, so does that mean that it cancels the new
periapt? I see what Loren was on about, how can i wear both at the same
time......LOL! Shame though. I had no option of "being able to ask Helm
about things", even if i chose not to receive anything.....he mentions that
it is my choice blah blah blah.... then he makes his leave saying he must
fight the dark.... Still, i got jibbed 75 exp in any case....

"Loren Pechtel" <lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:00:46 +1000, "Eric Giber"
> <Ericciva@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I banish the demon and earn 300 experience points, then summon the
Guardian
> >Spirit of Helm. I choose the magic item, the ring. Now here comes the
part i
> >really want, "he gives you a Periapt of Wisdom +1" (i am playing a cleric
> >and this would be of great benefit). However when i take the ring from
him
> >he says he must go and then that's it, no wisdom +1, he gives me 300
> >experience points. My wisdom is originally 19 (and i have a necklace that
> >found that gives my wisdom+1 anyway), however i really want this. Could
it
> >be possible that the walkthrough is wrong or am i doing something wrong?
> >Advice would be much appreciated.
>
> If you already have a necklace that gives wisdom +1 there's no reason
> for the periapt. They go in the same slot.

I'd hold on the to Periapt of Wisdom you get from Linu - that one gets
upgraded later. That's assuming you completed her quest.

Best wishes
Maxon

"Eric Giber" <Ericciva@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You know that necklace....it IS the Wisdom periapt. Hehe, i looked at it
> today and noticed that it was so. However, like i said, i obtained this
> earlier in the OC. Hmmmmm, so does that mean that it cancels the new
> periapt? I see what Loren was on about, how can i wear both at the same
> time......LOL! Shame though. I had no option of "being able to ask Helm
> about things", even if i chose not to receive anything.....he mentions
that
> it is my choice blah blah blah.... then he makes his leave saying he must
> fight the dark.... Still, i got jibbed 75 exp in any case....
>

> "Loren Pechtel" <lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 23:00:46 +1000, "Eric Giber"
> > <Ericciva@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I banish the demon and earn 300 experience points, then summon the
> Guardian
> > >Spirit of Helm. I choose the magic item, the ring. Now here comes the
> part i
> > >really want, "he gives you a Periapt of Wisdom +1" (i am playing a
cleric
> > >and this would be of great benefit). However when i take the ring from
> him
> > >he says he must go and then that's it, no wisdom +1, he gives me 300
> > >experience points. My wisdom is originally 19 (and i have a necklace
that
> > >found that gives my wisdom+1 anyway), however i really want this. Could
> it
> > >be possible that the walkthrough is wrong or am i doing something
wrong?
> > >Advice would be much appreciated.
> >
> > If you already have a necklace that gives wisdom +1 there's no reason
> > for the periapt. They go in the same slot.

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 22:23:36 +1000, "Eric Giber"
<Ericciva@hotmail.com> wrote:

>You know that necklace....it IS the Wisdom periapt. Hehe, i looked at it
>today and noticed that it was so. However, like i said, i obtained this
>earlier in the OC. Hmmmmm, so does that mean that it cancels the new
>periapt? I see what Loren was on about, how can i wear both at the same
>time......LOL! Shame though. I had no option of "being able to ask Helm
>about things", even if i chose not to receive anything.....he mentions that
>it is my choice blah blah blah.... then he makes his leave saying he must
>fight the dark.... Still, i got jibbed 75 exp in any case....

Not the only case where an NPC suggests they can offer something they
then don't follow through on.

In Luskan you'll find a very scantily clad demonic creature that
offers magic or perhaps something more personal... in exchange for her
freedom. Once she's free the only thing she will offer is magic.

That's not a periapt of wisdom you get from Linu (pendant of the
elf)... that one adds DEX, up to +4. Anyone remember which one gives
WIS?

DS

It happens that Maxon formulated :

Dawnseeker wrote:
> That's not a periapt of wisdom you get from Linu (pendant of the elf)...
> that one adds DEX, up to +4. Anyone remember which one gives WIS?

None of the henchperson rewards increase your WIS. Daelan gives you a +
to STR, Spell Resistance and Immunity to Fear, Grimgnaw gives you + to
CON, Spell Resistance and Immunity to Level/Ability drain, Linu gives
you + to DEX and Immunity to Mind-Affecting Spells, Boddyknock gives you
+ to CHA and Regeneration and Sharwyn gives you + to CHA, Persuade and
Perform.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

Was it not? I could have sworn that's what it was. Still it's been so long
since I played the OC that I probably forgot. Sorry.

Best wishes
Maxon

"Dawnseeker" <nospam_dawnseeker3@excite.com> wrote in message
> That's not a periapt of wisdom you get from Linu (pendant of the
> elf)... that one adds DEX, up to +4. Anyone remember which one gives
> WIS?
>
> DS
>

> It happens that Maxon formulated :
> > I'd hold on the to Periapt of Wisdom you get from Linu - that one gets
> > upgraded later. That's assuming you completed her quest.
> >
> > Best wishes
> > Maxon
> >

> > "Eric Giber" <Ericciva@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> You know that necklace....it IS the Wisdom periapt. Hehe, i looked at
it
> >> today and noticed that it was so. However, like i said, i obtained this
> >> earlier in the OC. Hmmmmm, so does that mean that it cancels the new
> >> periapt? I see what Loren was on about, how can i wear both at the same
> >> time......LOL! Shame though. I had no option of "being able to ask Helm
> >> about things", even if i chose not to receive anything.....he mentions
that
> >> it is my choice blah blah blah.... then he makes his leave saying he
must
> >> fight the dark.... Still, i got jibbed 75 exp in any case....
> >>

> >> "Loren Pechtel" <lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote in message

> --
> As we passed on
> It seemed as if those scenes
> Of visionary enchantment
> Would never have an end.
>
> --- Meriwether Lewis.

MindsEye

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004

> Was it not? I could have sworn that's what it was. Still it's been so
> long
> since I played the OC that I probably forgot. Sorry.
>
> Best wishes
> Maxon

Having just played through CH1 of the OC, I can confirm that it's indeed a
pendant of the elf, and a rather nice pendant it is, too.

-[Blayde]-

No need to apologize... actually I think it would've been better and
more appropriate if Linu's item were WIS instead of DEX. It seems that
WIS got the short end of the stick in the OC with the henchmen's quest
items... if you're lucky though, you might find a Talisman of Pure Good
(if you're of good alignment), which give +3 WIS +3 CHA and Spell
Resistance 12. I think there's also a Talisman of Pure Evil.

DS

Maxon brought next idea :

--
As we passed on
It seemed as if those scenes

--- Meriwether Lewis.

All this has reminded me of yet another problem i had with an item. Someone
mentioned a +CHA, i obtained this item and put it on. Now i am a cleric,
doesnt the number of times you can turn undead depend on your CHA? Hmmmm, i
can turn undead 3 times without the cha bonus, with it it remains the same,
no matter if i rest or not.

<alordofchaos@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Ahh... that explains why I didn't get those things and it didn't sound
> all that familiar. One of these days, if I get really bored and have a
> lot of time, I may go through the OC again.... or maybe not :)

Vellu

The ability modifier has to change too. If you already have high CHA,
increase of +1 to your ability propably doesn't change the modifier. For
example: Ability score of 12 gives you +1 modifier. To get to +2 your
skills needs to raise to 14. 16 gives you +3. And so forth...