Help, 1080 ti SLI - low GPU usage, high cpu usage

A Loose Canon

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
Hello, I am having issues with my new SLI setup. As the title says, I'm not getting the performance I expected from running these cards in SLI.

First of all, my specs:
ASUS Maximus VI HERO
i7 4770k on Hyper 212 EVO
16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866
1080 ti F.E. x 2 both with evga hybrid kits installed
256GB Samsung 840 Pro (OS)
1TB Samsung 840 EVO (Games)
EVGA 1000w Gold Power Supply
ASUS PG278Q? (1440p 144Hz G-Sync)
Windows 10 Pro

My previous graphics cards were two 980 ti's, which are now in my secondary system that I have as a guest machine. With the exact same system, my 980 ti's were pushed all the way in SLI, at least in the games that support it properly. I have yet to play any of those games with the new pascal cards and get over 50-80% usage on each card, meanwhile cpu usage seems higher 80-99%. Performance seems slightly worse than when using only a single card, which btw runs at 99% usage in that scenario. I also tested each card independently, just to make sure I didn't have a dud or something.

I decided to go ahead and reformat and reinstall Windows, as I like to do every year or two anyway. So all hardware drivers are fresh and up to date.

Other things I have tried:

• Playing around with a mild cpu OC of 4.2GHz
    Tried OC'ing the memory to 2166Mhz
    Also tried XMP
    Tried resetting UEFI to default settings
    Verified PCIe gen 3 was enabled in UEFI
    Verified no CPU cores are parked
    Raised the power limit on both GPU's to maximum in MSI afterburner, now limited by voltage only
    Disabling G-Sync completely (read there was issues with pascal SLI+G-Sync)

I know it's not the newest i7 CPU, but I didn't think it would have trouble driving these GPU's considering it did the job superbly for the 980ti's. I don't see anything in task manager that might be sucking up CPU resources, either.

Is there anything else I'm overlooking?

Thanks in advance.

anort3

Titan
Feb 25, 2009
An i7 is fine. An overclock would certainly help though.

http://www.babeltechreviews.com/gtx-1080-ti-sli-performance-25-games/2/

Multi GPU configurations are getting less and less support both from the graphics card makers ( no more than 2 cards supported now ) and the game developers.

http://www.babeltechreviews.com/gtx-1080-ti-sli-performance-25-games/3/

As you can see there performance actually decreased in some titles.

A Loose Canon

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014

I've seen several youtube videos of 6700k's and 7700k's driving two 1080 ti's to full usage.

H3R0__

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017
Disable G-Sync in Nvidia control panel. I have the same issue with 1080ti sli and 5820k @4.5ghz. You will see a massive difference in fps with gsync off. Seems like G-Sync is broken with pascal cards ans SLi.