Help! 13GB missing on SSD after doing Windows Update

wsk2450

Reputable
Mar 27, 2015
Hello,

I just recently installed a 240gb SSD on my old laptop. I did a Windows update last night and before the update I checked that I had 148gb of free space left. However, after the update, I had 135gb of space left. I checked my ssd (i.e. local disk C) by right clicking and clicking on properties and it says 73gb is being used. But, when I double click into the Local disk and then highlight all the folders (including hidden ones) it says 58gb is being used. So, where did the rest of the space go? Can someone please tell me? Is the size of windows update really over 13gb ?!

Thanks

Solution
Files that are replaced will still be present in the recycle bin until you empty it.
Restore point, by itself is small, but it must have the old files present in case it needs to go back.

You can run disk cleanup to get rid of unneeded files.

wsk2450

Reputable
Mar 27, 2015

Hey thanks for replying. I checked the disk cleanup but theres only about 500mb that can be cleaned up (which are temporary files) and when I click on "clean system files" there's about 1.84gb of files (1gb of it is Service Pack Backup Files).
This still doesn't explain the 13gb of space missing because like you said system restore points are small (i checked and it is around 300mb). There was also nothing in the recycling bin after the windows update. Any other idea where all those GB may have gone? I just want some way to find out exactly where the extra GB went.

Thanks again.

USAFRet

Titan

System Restore

Control Panel
System
System Protection
System Protection tab
Select the drive in question
Configure

What is the Current Usage, and what is the slider set at?

wsk2450

Reputable
Mar 27, 2015

Current Usage is 6.34gb and the slider is set at 100%. What should I change it to that would be optimal for my SSD?

USAFRet

Titan

For System restore, whatever you feel comfortable with. For that same size SSD< I have mine at 4%
Also, look at your hibernnation file, and page file setting.

hibernation, turn it off.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html

Pagefile - reduce that to something smaller than what it is.

Solution
If I recall correctly, the hibernation file does not go away if you have ever used or allocated it.
Turning off hibernation by itself does not do it.
There is a procedure to get rid of it; google is your friend there.

I do not hibernate, I use sleep to ram. It is faster to sleep and wake.
I normally do not have anything of consequence in ram so it would not bother me if I lost it due to a power failure.

USAFRet

Titan

The commandline procedure I linked above does make it go away.