Help! 17 920 Idles @ 60degC But Goes To 34 If I Push Fan In

esox

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
So I finally pulled the triggered on an i7-920 system with P6T MB and OCZ 3G1600LV6GK 6GB PC3-12800. I haven't really tested it yet because it's idling at 60 degrees C and if I even perform minor tasks it jumps up to 80degC. However, if I push down lightly on the stock fan, the temperature begins to drop. As I hold it, it goes down to around 34 degC.

I've tried tightening those plastic retainers and re-positioning the fan to see if it's incorrectly seated several times, but it doesn't improves the cooling unless I push down on it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Stop the all caps titles!

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
invest in a good aftermarket cooling solution and throw the stock cooler in the trash. irregardless of whether or not you are overclocking, its a good idea to protect your investment to the best of your abilities. it doesn't sound like it is seating properly to me.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
You need to seat the fan to the mobo outside the case, other wise you are flexing the mobo and bottoming out on the tray befroe the pins go all the way in.

Now you will need to take it apart, and clean all the old paste off, reapply paste and seat outside the case.

It is the only way to get the push pins in all the way. Push pins are simple when the directions are followed.

The stock fan is totally capable of a 3.8 OC when mounted properly.

Your CPU will shut down @ 100C.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Yeah, take the mobo out of the case, remove the HS clean all the paste and...

...install an aftermarket HS with a backplate. :lol:

They are relatively cheap, why screw with the push pin junk.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I have to admit that I haven't used them even once. It just looks like a crappy system, and from the complaints I have seen, it is. Maybe everyone that is complaining mounted the HS with the mobo installed, but that is unlikely.

For the money I would go aftermarket anyway, but that's just me.

Devastator_uk

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
The stock Intel heatsinks are or can be harder to secure properly than the stock AMD ones, so I would recommend buying a different heatsink that'll attach more firmly.