[SOLVED] HELP! 3080 8-pin port bent/broken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2020
Hi there,

I was fortunate enough to receive a 3080 today and went about upgrading my build. Fairly standard setup in terms of location of GPU, angle of the cables etc.

I tried to boot but got nothing. Booted from the HDMI port on my motherboard and everything worked fine.

It was at this point I realised the right hand side 8-pin cable was not seated correctly in the card. Upon closer inspection, two of the pins on the GPU port are bent/broken/seated further back inside the housing:

https://ibb.co/KNn3CMB

The GPU leds and fans were powering on but no signal is being sent. Is this a manufacturing issue? Would I be able to get this fixed at a repair shop or do I need to claim on warranty? Would I be able to tease them out with some tweezers or do I risk voiding my warranty?

Has anyone had this issue before?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Solution
It is highly likely another issue that is causing your card not to work. Those two pins are not being checked during startup and it would only be a problem under heavy load... The ones that have to be present are one of the +12v, one of the groundings, and both "Sense" wires on each connector. The +12V and the Grounds are interconnected on the PCB anyway (every connector group separately, as they feed different phases).
Spsgx.png

AI: Try another GPU, it might be the motherboard slot too. Or... boot with onboard and check if it is present in the device manager.

If you use tweezers, it would be easy to see (steel will leave marks on aluminum) and will for sure void the warranty. Even as is you...
It is highly likely another issue that is causing your card not to work. Those two pins are not being checked during startup and it would only be a problem under heavy load... The ones that have to be present are one of the +12v, one of the groundings, and both "Sense" wires on each connector. The +12V and the Grounds are interconnected on the PCB anyway (every connector group separately, as they feed different phases).
Spsgx.png

AI: Try another GPU, it might be the motherboard slot too. Or... boot with onboard and check if it is present in the device manager.

If you use tweezers, it would be easy to see (steel will leave marks on aluminum) and will for sure void the warranty. Even as is you might be refused or asked to explain why the pins are sunk, as they might think it was your job.
AI: I would send the card in as DOA and be patient, it will take time. If there is paperwork to provide, I would state that I noticed two sunk pins upon card receipt and sending it back as defective for that very reason (even though I am pretty sure that there is another defect). That way there would be less to suspect for the guy that accepts it for RMA. They will find real issues later on in the lab.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 22, 2020
Looks a whole lot more like the wrong plug was forced into the socket and bent the two pins to the left. Too much damage to the plastic housing to have been a manufacturing mistake. Very unlikely that QA would miss something like that. This may turn out to be a very expensive lesson.

Fortunately, the website I ordered from included an enhanced warranty which covers accidental damage during installation.

This covers bent pins so I am very lucky that they will be sending me a replacement free of charge.

Having said that, a very valuable lesson was learned today!

Fortunately, the website I ordered from included an enhanced warranty which covers accidental damage during installation.

This covers bent pins so I am very lucky that they will be sending me a replacement free of charge.

Having said that, a very valuable lesson was learned today!

Thats good news because my website offeres that but bad news that you have to wait but make sure that you learn from this mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS