Help! 6gb for Dell Optiplex 745 dt?!

Jaime_18

Prominent
May 16, 2017
Hi,

I was recently told that in order to upgrade my ram to 8GB of ram, I needed to get 667Mhz modules. Well I looked around Amazon and I found some ram but, they were higher than my budget since I don't have a job. I resorted into thinking I should buy 6GB of ram and I saw cheaper priced ones.

My question is, will this 4GB ram kit (link provided) work with my Dell Optiplex 745 Desktop version? Will it boot up?

Another question more related to my problem is my machine right now has 4x1GB stick modules and i'm wondering if I can remove 2 of those sticks and add the provided 4GB kit (with two sticks of 2GB) and make 6gb? Will the computer boot up?

Also i'm trying to get 6Gb because I heard it was enough for GTA V because i'm getting a lot of freezing and stuttering in the game.

Solution
That will support 8 GB DDR2-800 RAM. It must be "low density" RAM. 256x64 bit, not the 128x128bit AMD RAM. It will have chips on both sides of the modules. Be sure you have the latest BIOS from Dell. It installs in Windows so it's easy. 6GB works just fine. if you mix DDR2-800 with DDR2-667 it will run at the slower speed until you get all 800 modules. Yes 6GB will work. Be sure you have it installed so each channel has a 2GB, and a 1GB module. The Dell online manual should show how to do this. This is a good setup if you're running a 32 bit OS and a 2GB GPU.
Maximum CPU for that is the QX6800.
That will support 8 GB DDR2-800 RAM. It must be "low density" RAM. 256x64 bit, not the 128x128bit AMD RAM. It will have chips on both sides of the modules. Be sure you have the latest BIOS from Dell. It installs in Windows so it's easy. 6GB works just fine. if you mix DDR2-800 with DDR2-667 it will run at the slower speed until you get all 800 modules. Yes 6GB will work. Be sure you have it installed so each channel has a 2GB, and a 1GB module. The Dell online manual should show how to do this. This is a good setup if you're running a 32 bit OS and a 2GB GPU.
Maximum CPU for that is the QX6800.

Solution
Since you don't have a job I'm sympathetic to your situation, but you may have to be satisfied with playing older versions of games until things improve for you. You didn't say what GPU you have. or what resolution you intend to play at. I know of a retiree who is online racing competitively with a GTX750Ti and an old 720P television for a big screen monitor.

Jaime_18

Prominent
May 16, 2017

Oh shoot I forgot to link the ram ._.
Oh well. You fixed my problem so thank you :D