Question Help! A fan blade from my GPU has snapped off ?

Sep 3, 2021
Hey

I have an Asus DUAL-GTX1060-06G. One fan blade snapped off. It is out of warranty. I am somewhat confident with taking it apart, although I have never done it before.
I was wondering if anyone could help me find a replacement fan that is the proper size and specs. Any advice on how to take it apart and resemble it safely would be greatly appreciated.
I was also thinking about replacing the thermal paste since I am going to take it apart anyway.

My final question is it ok to play games on it in the meantime? I have read that a missing fan blade throws the fan off balance and can reduce the life of the bearings. Since I plan on replacing the fan entirely that is fine. I just don't want to harm the GPU it's self in any way as they are expensive and hard to come by these days.

Thank you for your time and consideration for reading this post.

Last edited by a moderator:
View: https://youtu.be/Xm4aBe23kec

It should be almost if not exact like that video.
Replacement fans can be found on ebay or Amazon and should be fairly easy to swap them.

About gaming, I wouldn't be comfortable as the rest of the fan might break as well and possibly damage something else.
I would remove the fan and leave it with just one till the replacement arrives and then check the temps regularly while gaming to not overheat the GPU.

Yuo should not use the card at all, in the mean time.
The fan is now off balance which is already causing extra vibrations at low RPMs. If the fan spins up fast the off balance nature could cause the fan to fully detach and/or fall apart more - permanently damaging your card.

Reactions: Denzopa
Sep 3, 2021
Yuo should not use the card at all, in the mean time.
The fan is now off balance which is already causing extra vibrations at low RPMs. If the fan spins up fast the off balance nature could cause the fan to fully detach and/or fall apart more - permanently damaging your card.
Thanks for suggestions.

ASK THE COMMUNITY