Question Help a fella choose a laptop

Vargos

Honorable
Dec 8, 2014
So, I'm finally in the market for a new notebook. Unfortunately, my options are kinda limited, cause of where I live, and I've narrowed my best choices in the following machines:

A) Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15ARH05
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 4600h
  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 1650ti 4gb
  • 120hz Panel
  • Price: € 849
B) Lenovo Legion Y540-15irh
  • CPU: Intel i7 9750hf
  • GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660ti 6gb
  • 144hz Panel
  • Price: € 1075

I'll be upgrading the memory to dual channel 16gb no matter the choice (both have 8gb single channel stock), as well as expanding the storage, so those things aren't really a concern. As for FreeSync, Optimus etc, i must admit I haven't found anything solid about the particular models.

I want the laptop to be able to handle heavy multitasking, light video & photo editing - rendering, non-professional music production, 3d modeling as well as extensive gaming (I don't expect achieving high end performance and billion fps with either of those machines on AAA titles, I just want to be able to play smoothly anything I might like, even on lower settings) - example games being Doom Eternal, ridiculously modded Skyrim, GTA V, Cyberpunk 77, The Medium, Scorn etc.

I know that either laptop is able to provide these at a different level, but i wanna know if the improved performance of the 1660ti compared to the 1650ti justifies choosing the inferior i7. I also know that the 1660ti is a better choice regarding future proofing for a couple of years - until I manage to build a solid pc - don't know about the i7 though.
I would really appreciate elaborated answers since I wanna understand better the priorities regarding hardware.

Thanks everybody in advance, have a cookie on me!
Cheers

I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
They are also relatively underpowered.
Both processors will perform essentially the same.
Heavy multitasking will favor the ideapad.
Gaming will favor the legion because of better single thread performance as well as the faster display.
Looking at both units, it looks to me that the ideapad has the more robust cooler if you will be gaming or heavily multitasking while plugged in.

Vargos

Honorable
Dec 8, 2014
I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
They are also relatively underpowered.
Both processors will perform essentially the same.
Heavy multitasking will favor the ideapad.
Gaming will favor the legion because of better single thread performance as well as the faster display.
Looking at both units, it looks to me that the ideapad has the more robust cooler if you will be gaming or heavily multitasking while plugged in.
Thank you for answering, much appreciated!!

TRENDING THREADS