Help a girl upgrade her computer?

Aug 13, 2018
Need some help from some smart boys.

I bought the Inspiron 3650 last year thinking it would be powerful enough to do video editing on ... It isn't. It keeps bogging down in Premiere Pro, and the hard drive takes a loooong time to pull an image or video up after clicking on it.

Here what it has

Intel Core i3-6100 processor 3.20GHz
6GB DDR3L SDRAM system memory (expandable to 16GB)
1TB SATA hard drive
Intel 530 Graphics

From what i've read, I definitely need a dedicated graphics card (Nvidia 1050 maybe?). But then I don't know if the power supply in the Inspiron 3650 is big enough.

Is the i3-6100 enough? Computer keeps saying 100% CPU, but then again I read thats a Windows 10 thing?

Should I increase the RAM? Switch to SSD (and how hard is that to do yourself?)

Oh! And if you google "INspiron 3650", you'll see it's a small case - so whetever needs to fit whatever I upgrade!

Sooo.. If you had $500, how would you upgrade this?

Solution
Aug 13, 2018

Yep! New York.
1080 usually, yeah.
But it kinda depends. Sometimes can be 4k depending on the shoot.

For 500, this will be a huge improvement assuming your psu is >=300W

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($165.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($156.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 560 - 1024 4GB LP OC Video Card ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $492.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-14 13:26 EDT-0400

sell the old parts and get an SSD later on. Crucial MX500 is a good choice.

You have the base for a decent system. According to the Dell website you can put up to an i7 in there.

Your CPU is too slow for video editing if you're serious about it, and it sounds like you are. An i5 would be the minimum, an i7 better. You have Skylake, so a painless(relatively) upgrade would be an i5 6500 or i7 6700.

I would not invest in a videocard until after you upgrade the CPU. You may or may not benefit from a videocard upgrade but you can't really judge that until you get your CPU situation squared away.

edit: Consider 16gb ram to be the minimum for 4k editing

If you decide to stay with this PC and not building a new one from the scratch including purchasing Windows 10 (you can not use Dell Windows on non Dell motherboard). Don't forget, your original power supply is using proprietary motherboard connector, and you will need a new case, so real price tag for self build system will go over $600 easy.

Here we go. This is from Adobe PC requirements.

At least Quad core, Adobe lists min Intel® i5-4590, for video card recommendations, it is all depends on your use of VR, if yes, you will need something very strong, which might not fit in your case. so far MAX card which fits and confirmed is GTX 1060 Mini, should be enough for simple video processing.
Also Adobe recommends at least 16GB of RAM.

Now back to your Inspiron.

As it was mentioned previously, your CPU upgrade MUST be at least i5 6600, MAX is i7 6700.

Memory.
The system can support up to 16gb . Non-ECC dual-channel 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM.
The best for Dell PCs is Crucial.

Video card.
Adobe lists Intel Graphics enabled for simple video processing, so simple upgrade to GTX 1050TI should be more than enough if you want future proof system for larger displays. GTX 150TI doesn't require power supply upgrade.
Since there is very little space inside, Zotac 1050TI Mini is your best choice.
Stronger video cards are required for Virtual Processing only, so if you don't need that, 1050TI is the MAX upgrade for you (otherwise you will need power supply upgrade, which is possible with a few tricks).

This is it. Questions?

Solution