pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
If you were to take a consensus among the key regulars on this forum, Avast would be the choice.

I just have my own personal doubts that anything "free" could be as effective, aggressive, and on-top-of-things as a payed-for app.

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Just an FYI, we have scanned customer's machines that are using a free antivirus with Norman (that's what we use, like, recommend, and sell), and have found things the free stuff did not.

G

I have already downloaded Avast and it works great, but how do i know it really gets all the virus's? Are all anti-virus programs the same or do some get rid of virus's better than other's? If so, why would anyone pay for an anti-virus program if a free one can do the same? :? :? :?

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Try these free on-line scans:

Trend Micro HouseCall ... java version for Firefox users.

BitDefender Free Online Scanner ... requires IE (activeX based)

Panda Active Scan ... I have stopped using Panda's free active scan because of the false positives, which I suspect is used as a sales tactic (identifies malware, but doesn't remove it ... )

Use one or more of these as 2nd opinions ... note my caution on Panda's free Active Scan now.

Note: None of these free scanners has found a legitimate virus that Avast has not.

G

I don't trust on-line free scans because I think they just want to sell their own virus removal programs. They just say that you have like 40 virus's on your computer so that you buy there product. :evil: Of course, that's just an opinion. 8O

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Look dude, BitDefender and Trend Micro are FULL on-line scanners, free and may take 20-30 minutes to complete. I have had neither ever give me a positive (I'm good at this AV stuff).

But don't take my word for it ... find someone you want to believe and take their word. :?

Panda's "false positives" aren't necessarily false. The free version of Activescan will scan for and find spyware, dialers, hacking tools and viruses. It will only clean the viruses. So, if you see a lot of spyware and want to stick with free software, you'll have to use something else to remove the spyware.

G

When i downloaded avast i didn't have to register for anything! I like that because i hate filling out those forms.

Codename46

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Like the rest, I love Avast. Its free, its fast, and its awesome. The only beef I have with it is its GUI, which blows IMHO.

I dunno if you already have one, but you'll need anti-spyware progz as well. I use Spybot, but most of my friends use Adaware. Spywareblaster is awesome too because its a preventive program. Check my sig for more stuff.

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
You'll need more anti-spyware programs than just Spybot. Add Ad-Aware SE, and I'd add either M$ Anti-Spyware or a paid program. Spybot misses a lot and SpywareBlaster only sets killbits for IE. I use Spy Sweeper (as a scaner only), Pest Patrol (free thru my ISP) and CounterSpy (I got a comp copy).

Spyware seems to be a bigger problem now than viruses. A decent AV (Avast is good) and a free fire-wall (Zone Alarm) works.

Codename46

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
You'll need more anti-spyware programs than just Spybot. Add Ad-Aware SE, and I'd add either M$ Anti-Spyware or a paid program. Spybot misses a lot and SpywareBlaster only sets killbits for IE. I use Spy Sweeper (as a scaner only), Pest Patrol (free thru my ISP) and CounterSpy (I got a comp copy).

Spyware seems to be a bigger problem now than viruses. A decent AV (Avast is good) and a free fire-wall (Zone Alarm) works.

Counter-Spy is excellent for its ability to decloak and remove Sony's DRM rootkit spyware.

G

Thank you, This is what i was looking for, A set of a firewall and an anti-virus that work. :D