Help a noob. New motherboard boot to OS

dicko_11_is

Commendable
Oct 10, 2017
Hi

I've recently upgraded my pc from a pre built 2nd hand system and changed to some new parts e.g. cpu and motherboard and this being the 1st time I have ever done this I didn't realise I need to purchase Windows when changing a motherboard....

Because my system was pre built and had Windows 10 installed is there a way I can just boot to it? Or re use that Windows license as I don't want to have to buy a license when I already had 1...

Parts are installed and working. Computer is on and in Asus bios

The same hard drives are in the computer if that helps. Will I loose everything on the drives???

Please help!

Solution
you can download and install windows and run it un-activated until you get a license.
when installing only have the target hard drive installed, unplug the power to all others during install. windows scatters files needed for boot across drives which can cause problems later.
backup everything off of one drive and install to that. I suggest formatting during install.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
you can download and install windows and run it un-activated until you get a license.
when installing only have the target hard drive installed, unplug the power to all others during install. windows scatters files needed for boot across drives which can cause problems later.
backup everything off of one drive and install to that. I suggest formatting during install.

Solution

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
excellent question.
easy answer is linux booted off of a USB drive. the entire OS will run from the USB so it will be a bit slow, but it is fully functional and you can use it to do what you need.

Boot to a USB drive with linux on it. grab a USB drive, a copy of rufus and a linux distribution.
http://distrowatch.com/ has tons of differing linux distributions and download links. I personally an fond of linux mint with cinnamon.
https://rufus.akeo.ie/ the utility used to extract the ISO file to the USB drive.

use rufus to extract the selected ISO to the tunmb drive. it will make the drive bootable and you can run linux from the drive once done.
boot from the USB and open the file manager you can backup/copy any and all files you need.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

linux will only be installed to the USB, but you can prepare another USB drive for the windows installer. then reboot, remove the linux drive and boot to the installer on the other drive.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
if windows came with a pre-built I do not think so. windows 10 changed some things though. did you setup a microsoft account? the license may be tied to your account but since you changed the hardware, IDK.
I'll look into this 4 you.